E0001

New LAFD Pierce Triple

102 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Polecat said:

Hose Complement on Engine Companies (in general) is 600' 4" Supply, 750' 2 1/2", 300' 1 3/4" 300' 1 1/2" 500' 1". The 1 3/4", 1 1/2" & 1" are crossbed loads. There are companies that carry more hose depending on their individual district needs and challenges.

Pre-connects are not used because of several factors. Mostly your limited to a certain amount of hose per pre-connect. Engineers can monitor the hose leaving their apparatus and attach more hose quickly. In Los Angeles, some property lots are deep and it is quicker to just grab the nozzle, pay out hose as you go and pull sufficient hose to your objective. In LAFD training, they teach, when you get to your objective, you want to have enough hose to reach around the entire structure. I hope this helps.

Correction 750ft of 4in supply line, 750ft 2 1/2, 500ft 1in, 400ft 1 1/2 and 1 3/4, 200ft 2in high rise hose packs ( blue )

With many of the new Pierce engines having entered service, I am surprised that E-43 is still in an older Seagrave  reserve engine. I would think that a newer engine would have become avaialble for them to use a reserve until their Pierce Arrow was repaired.

Mark

2 hours ago, h_par202 said:

Are the pumps single stage or two stage pumps? 

I'm pretty sure they are two stage. All the engines I've seen have a volume/pressure switch.

h_par202 likes this

Specs for the LAFD Arrow XT are:

Cummings  ISX12 (457 hp)

Foam Pro System (30 gal's)

Waterous Midship 2 stage pump (1750gpm)

500 gal water tank

Edited by Polecat

1 hour ago, Polecat said:

Specs for the LAFD Arrow XT are:

Cummings  ISX12 (457 hp)

Foam Pro System (30 gal's)

Waterous Midship 2 stage pump (1750gpm)

500 gal water tank

21 hours ago, x635 said:

I'm pretty sure they are two stage. All the engines I've seen have a volume/pressure switch.

Cool! Thanks for the info!

Edited by h_par202

Engine 37 has their new Pierce in service now and I saw it responding on a medical call this morning. 

23 minutes ago, RicardoBerg said:

A question to ask that is off subject does anyone know if the LAFD type 3 is in service now?

The type 3 is not in service yet 

What are the size of the hoses used for high-rise fires and where are they stored ? Thx

Stinger, what's your fascination with the lengths/sizes of hose carried on LA area fire apparatus and where they are carried? If your on a department and specing. out a rig, your best bet would be to contact the apparatus mfgs. KME, Pierce for specifics. Not knowing anything about you, people on here and probably dept's.themselves are leery about these types of questions. Just sayin...

Lmao at engine5161 I highly doubt depts. are leery about his ?s let alone even on this site. Yes they’re members from different depts in different ranks. 

Stinger: I’m not sure if county has high rise house packs or what size hose the county uses for high rise fires. I’ll take it the you not from the southern California area. LACoFD covers a very large area. This includes the contract cities. They do not have many high rise structures vs. The city of Los Angeles. West Hollywood (LACoFD 8s and 7s) and Marina del Rey (LACoFD 110s) district area the areas I know of with the most high rise structures.

Yes thank you I’m not from the area and if I was I would walk down to one of the fire houses and asked a question but since this is a cool site I figure out as a question if not I’ll just go and be on my way and not bother you guys anymore Oh well happy new year I’m out