Rescue51

Major incident Los Angeles Fire Department

22 posts in this topic

Not sure of all details, units still rolling.  10 firefighters injured.  Multiple buildings on fire.  Explosion.  Wonder if it was a gas leak?  We'll see.  Pic is what is on-scene/responding.  Green is en-route, red is on-scene. 

20200516_195425-2016x1512.jpg

Truck 9 was directly in front of the fire building and has heavy damage.

18 hours ago, mikesaccount said:

Did Truck 9 get damaged?

I was watching the live feed from somewhere (KTLA or ABC I think) and after the news hits the were still playing video from the helicopter.  At one point it zoomed in on the front of Truck 9 and it looked like windows had been blown in on the passenger side and the roof of the cab was definitely scorched. 

Update 3 firefighters have been discharged.  Two are on ventilators but all are expected to survive. All are in the burn unit. Said several of the gear was melted away to include helmets. Appears truck 9 may be totaled depending on the damage to the Ariel ladder several sections have serious scorch marks. Interior of the cab did receive serious damage. 

Video of the actual explosion from front side.

It's a shame Truck 9 was one of the newest truck's in front line service will the shops be able to repair it or will it be totaled 

14 hours ago, mikesaccount said:

It's a shame Truck 9 was one of the newest truck's in front line service will the shops be able to repair it or will it be totaled 

Looking at some of the pictures, I think this is a "raise the radiator cap and slide a new truck underneath" situation.  The shops can do great things, but this seems to be beyond saving.

Only if the truck was parked a few feet forward or a few feet back it would have missed being scorched but then where it was parked was the only place they could've positioned the ladder.

You never know the shops have performed many miracles and have brought back several heavily damaged rigs. Engine 98 was completely engulfed in a wild fire in 1993 and Engine 60 fell into a sink hole and was buried in mud both rigs were restored at the shops and put back into service. I'm sure that Truck 9 can be restored like new

I saw a photo of "replacement" Truck 9 on the major emergency early this morning on Mateo St.  Looks like they're running a Duplex/LTI (for now).  Ladder boards said "Truck 9"...

Rescue51 likes this

The inside cab of truck 9 was destroyed.  The ladder was likely compromised but did its job staying together to let the guys get out.  most of the PPE was destroyed.  Its a miracle they were all not killed.  I have some picks I'll post when I can.

The scene has been turned over to a investigation team of ATF, LAFD and LAPD

Rescue51 likes this

RM is Rescue Maintenance. Shop personnel. 

Edited by Generic

What is the latest update on Truck 9 from the shops? Is it gonna be repaired or replaced?

It's almost been a year since the fire what is the latest on Truck 9? I was down by the shop on San Fernando Rd and Pasadena Av and saw 9s truck siting there in the staging area on the east side. What is going on will it be returning to service and when?