x635

Can Someone Explain To Me EMS in Las Vegas?

22 posts in this topic

Who actually provides the EMS in the City Of Las Vegas (proper) and how does it work? I know I've seen photos of FD based ambulances, but just watching a somewhat recent edition of "Cops" and AMR responded.

Thanks, Cadet.  So, basically, it's a race to see who gets there first as far as the transporting ambulance goes?

County Fire would be Clark County Fire? How does that whole deal work?

Is there anywhere that AMR is the only EMS transporting agency?

Yes in a sense it is a race but more often than not if its a lower priority call the private unit will take it in order to free up the fire unit (sometimes the system gets very busy though). In regards to county fire the private will transport unless its a critical patient (and the private isn't on scene) since even if AMR or MWA was on scene the patient would go in their ambulance with the county medic riding in, county also takes all fire personnel and police that need to go to the hospital. County is only supposed to (last I heard) transport around 1,000 patients a year so they are mainly on scene first to stabilize and then turn it over to the private unit so they can go back in service. As far as I can tell within Clark County AMR isn't the sole transport unit around whether it be fire or MWA.

Basically, the City of Las Vegas,is lookingforadditional funding for all departments, is trying to grab some revenue on the ambulance runs.

CCFD is still using the large paramedic ambulances for hospital runs only when police or fire personnel are involved a mass casualty situation. This keeps the paramedics in their first due response area to cover all types of medicals, accidents etc 24/7

Currently in the city of Las Vegas there is a dual response meaning that a unit from the fire department and a unit from a private ambulance will respond to the call. A new transport plan being made by LVFR is going to basically go like this- if a fire unit is on scene first and the private unit isn't on scene within a certain time then the fire unit will transport given that its a fire rescue, in the case of an engine or truck after that time period is up for the private to get on scene then the engine or truck will request a fire rescue to transport. Also in the case that it is a critical patient then fire will transport (if on scene first). In the past the dual response was used in order to free up the fire unit for more serious calls such as fires and MVA's but because of the economy it seems to be financially better to have fire units transport more. Not sure how the privates feel about it, AMR mainly runs with county fire and MWA runs with county and north town (North Las Vegas) fire departments so there isn't much of a loss for anyone at this point. This is the initial plan and as of now I haven't gotten word of when this new plan (if it hasn't happened already) will start.

I appreciate that too Cadet.

Is both Clark County and Las Vegas fire rescue are all the rescues paramedic medical level 

Yes, all fire department rescues are paramedic level rescues.

Too add on:

Clark County Fire staffs their rescues: Engineer + FF/Medic or Engineer/Medic + FF

Las Vegas Fire staffs their rescues: FF/Medic + FF

On 7/15/2013 at 8:39 AM, x635 said:

County Fire would be Clark County Fire? How does that whole deal work?

Community Ambulance is also part of the 911 system in the Las Vegas area. It does transports for Clark County FD in zone 7. That zone is located between Henderson and the City of Las Vegas.

Clark county rescues have extrication tools on board does lv have the same?

46 minutes ago, Stinger said:

Clark county rescues have extrication tools on board does lv have the same?

They did with the Rescues that were Freighliners. I’m not sure if the Chevys have extrication tools. 

Engines and trucks have extrication equipment, none of the LVFR rescues have them.

What is the ric/rit operations for lv or cc fire 

The response setup for LVFR, CCFD and NLVFD are 4 engines, 1 truck, 1 rescue, 2 BC’s and depending on where in the City you’ll get HR44 or CBRNE3. 1 of the 4 engines will be RIT unless the heavy rescue or CBRNE are on scene in which case they’ll be RIT (unless there’s some exception such as first or second in with victims or they need to assist crews in firefighting operations). Now if there are reports of people trapped or it’s a commercial/apartment building you may get additional units but the above units are on your confirmed building fires. Once a RIT operation has occurred, a second alarm is immediately sent to the incident.

Is Clarke County doing away with the ambulance style rescues and going with the squad styles instead or are they keeping a combination of both  

As of now they are staying with rescues, the squads are mainly due to how busy 32 is and with the station being small it’s better to have a squad to help with the call volume (also to see if it’s more feasible) and 13 because it’s the airport. Haven’t heard any word on them adding additional squads.

The squads also have better access in the vast parking structures found on the hotel or airport properties.