mikesaccount

LAFD New Equipment

172 posts in this topic

No. warranty problems are keeping them from service like the previous batch.

I really hope LAFD returns to Seagrave. 

On 7/15/2020 at 7:35 AM, x635 said:

Perhaps the LAFD would eventually order Seagrave Engines again however believe it or not its been thirty years since the Lafd last ordered a Seagrave Aerial Ladder. It's only been 14 years since the LAFD last received new Seagrave Engines. It seems as if Seagrave had priced themselves out of the Aerial Ladder Market in Los Angeles years ago.

perhaps someday LAFD may go with Spartan Motors for there Aerials that manufacture features the LTI ladders

On 7/15/2020 at 8:35 AM, x635 said:

I. Second. This.

LAFD new E51 (SN: 60873)!

Pierce, Los Angeles City Fire Department, CA, 34226-1

Also, there's 2 more engines listed on the Flickr page with the shop numbers 60874 and 60875 (assignments unknown).

Pierce, Los Angeles City Fire Department, CA, 34230-2

Monrovia1 likes this

Those are really nice shots of the new apparatus. I  hope that they perform as good as they look as according to a previous post  there has been another delaying in getting some of the new rigs delivered due to "Warranty Work".

3 minutes ago, firepost said:

Those are really nice shots of the new apparatus. I  hope that they perform as good as they look as according to a previous post  there has been another delaying in getting some of the new rigs delivered due to "Warranty Work".

They are! I did hear about the warranty work.. hopefully it's nothing serious

14 minutes ago, h_par202 said:

They are! I did hear about the warranty work.. hopefully it's nothing serious

Yes because the sooner they get the new rigs  delivered and on the street the better. Speaking of new rigs. I know that over the last 3 years the LA City fire department finally started putting some Engine companies back in service that were taken out of service during the recession and about a year ago a Ladder or Truck company (Light Force 38) was put back  in service however it would be good if they started formulating plans to put several other Light Forces back in service as before the recession there were 49 Trucks in service and now there are 43. I don't understand why they took Light Force 28 out of service and replaced it with an Engine especially if you consider that was in one of the newest fire stations at the time and they really weren't far from Engine 8. You would figure with 2 stations near each other they would let Station 28 keep the Light Force while Station 8 would keep the Engine as a Light Force can operate as both an Engine or as a Truck company. I also know that LA CIty lost 2 Battalion Chiefs as well as several EMS field supervisors too.

Edited by firepost

11 minutes ago, firepost said:

Yes because the sooner they get the new rigs  delivered and on the street the better. Speaking of new rigs. I know that over the last 3 years the LA City fire department finally started putting some Engine companies back in service that were taken out of service during the recession and about a year ago a Ladder or Truck company (Light Force 38) was put back  in service however it would be good if they started formulating plans to put several other Light Forces back in service as before the recession there were 49 Trucks in service and now there are 43. I don't understand why they took Light Force 28 out of service and replaced it with an Engine especially if you consider that was in one of the newest fire stations at the time and they really weren't far from Engine 8. You would figure with 2 stations near each other they would let Station 28 keep the Light Force while Station 8 would keep the Engine as a Light Force can operate as both an Engine or as a Truck company. I also know that LA CIty lost 2 Battalion Chiefs as well as several EMS field supervisors too.

Very true! I too would like to see companies re-established! 

So in the case of LAFD's Engine 51, for KLAX, my understanding is the reason these rigs are painted lime, is that because they provide service to an airport, the FAA kicks in some funding for the rig (I do not know how much), but to do so, the rig must be painted lime.  Not my favorite color, but with the blue strips, it actually looks good!  I prefer yellow over lime if it is not red.  Interesting all the California OES rigs are also lime (or most of them). 

1 hour ago, Rescue51 said:

So in the case of LAFD's Engine 51, for KLAX, my understanding is the reason these rigs are painted lime, is that because they provide service to an airport, the FAA kicks in some funding for the rig (I do not know how much), but to do so, the rig must be painted lime.  Not my favorite color, but with the blue strips, it actually looks good!  I prefer yellow over lime if it is not red.  Interesting all the California OES rigs are also lime (or most of them). 

Yes you are right that if it is an "Airport company"they are required to be painted Lime or Yellow as it is a "Federal Regulation". One thing that they are lucky about however is the LA city station 95 seems to "technically speaking" be on Airport property yet the vehicles at that Station aren't required to be painted Lime or Yellow so everyone located there is Red and White.

My understanding is if the airport buys or helps with the payment of such apparatus. Lime Yellow is the color to be at an International airport. If the dept buys their own apparatus then red or any color they choose. Example: Ontario International is now operated by Ontario FD. Red is the color on the ARFF trucks as they own the apparatus.

2 hours ago, pump305 said:

My understanding is if the airport buys or helps with the payment of such apparatus. Lime Yellow is the color to be at an International airport. If the dept buys their own apparatus then red or any color they choose. Example: Ontario International is now operated by Ontario FD. Red is the color on the ARFF trucks as they own the apparatus.

Thanks for the information.

You are correct:  Through Advisory Circular "AC" 150/5210-5D, the FAA mandates vehicles funded with federal grant monies through the Airport Improvement Program (AIP) and/or with revenue from the Passenger Facility Charges (PFC) Program must meet certain requirements for color, markings, lighting, striping, etc...

a.                   Airport Emergency Vehicles.

(2)                Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) Vehicles.  Yellowish-green is the vehicle color standard.  Color specifications are per Appendix A.

NOTE:  A yellowish-green color provides optimum visibility during all light levels encountered during a 24-hour day and under variations of light that result from weather and seasonal changes. 

Edited by Jwimig

I must say it feels great to see City backon rigs again. I always thought it was dumb that they took it off due to the San Fernando Valley trying to separate from the City of Los Angeles.

h_par202 likes this