E0001

Laguna Beach Engine

7 posts in this topic

Interesting new engine for Laguna Beach FD.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/piercemfg/24432698259/in/dateposted/

Had the opportunity to see it at Firehouse World today. It has a 1000 gpm pump. Don't have the rest of the details.

Additional details including cost found at this link...

http://lagunabeachcity.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=3&clip_id=413&meta_id=31667

Edited by E0001

I believe that's a 4x4 model type 1 engine. Big bear city has one. Wonder why they need something like that

Interesting rig for sure but we might see more of the WUI purchases in the future.  Aren't Lakeside FD's newer Smeals similar (though not 4x4 and not hauling 1,000 gallons in the tank).   If you look at the "Agenda Bill" link above that E0001 kindly provided, Laguna Beach's logic makes good sense in a time of limited budgets and requirements to do more.  The bid price by Pierce surprised me that they came in less than the competition (E-One, CustomFire), though that might be due to the bulk purchase/volume discount as a rider on another jurisdiction's purchase.  Hopefully nice new Pierce WUI/4x4 will be placed at a station with lower call volume, as I would guess long-term operational costs/maintenance will be higher on the new rig. 

Anyone know if the front fenders are removable? I noticed above the front wheel there's a half moon circle that look like it comes off.

it is a wildland urban interface engine for use in the laguna canyon area of the city, it will also be used on strike teams, based on it being engine 301 it will probally be crossed staffed as needed at one of their 4 stations. there have been a few cities in the oc looking at this type of rig