6 posts in this topic

I saw that CCFD's tractor drawn heavy rescue rolled over during a rainy rush hour in Las Vegas this morning.  Some are reporting it was a ladder truck, but looking at the video, it's clearly CCFD's Spartan/Hackney (IIRC) tractor drawn heavy rescue.  Three FF's transported with minor injuries.  Probably totaled I would guess.  I was surprised because I thought that unit was placed OOS a couple of years ago due to staffing or something.  Obviously it was back in service this morning.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/clark-county-fire-truck-overturns-closing-215-beltway-interstate-15-interchange

https://www.fireapparatusmagazine.com/news/clark-county-nv-fire-department-ladder-truck-overturns/

Here are a couple of captures from the traffic camera closest to the scene, courtesy of the RTC.

download.png

Untitled.png

Edited by Jwimig
Corrected wording error.

It was definitely Heavy Rescue 21. It was out of service for a few years but was reactivated three years ago or so. 

Edited by Mesquite5010
Spelling errors

I’ve notice that on most of the new apparatus they have went to all red warning light and ditched the red and blue lights. Any reasons why ?

Maybe because of out of state mutual aid, no blues allowed on Fire apparatus in California.  Or maybe the current fire chief said no to blues.  Hard to say 

Everyone got rid of blues in Yuma  because we all run into California so much.  When I got here everyone was red/blue, now only police are Red/Blue.

I dont think we have ever been scolded by CHP, but I think It is just easier not to have to explain.  People are funny about it.  I am  all in the Club for NO blue lights

And I dont think Blues are very visible compared to RED  during the day.  1000 people, 1000 opinions...

On 10/12/2021 at 10:19 PM, California Red said:

I tried looking up REDX and Tip10. Got nothing. Interesting reading the apparatus listing, though. Sad event. 

@e5911  I like you have thought this one out quite a bit over time. I truly believe BLUE code/warning lights are very effective at night. I am a believer that the contrast in colors is very effective to the eyes.  When someone sees red/blue/white and maybe even amber, I believe studies show the recognition value is very high. Departments that use white lights in edition to the red, hear in California, add much recognition value to their rigs and clearing intersections. Some departments just use red, no whites, no rear ambers, and I find that although red is the most effective daytime color, those that use on the rear amber/red are more effective. Of course amber only in rear is more a caution, red/amber in rear more a warning. Many departments use wig-wag headlamps, though many stopped. The wig-wag flash on LED headlamps is very effective. I don't think CHP is going to allow blue on fire/medics anytime soon. In the Craig Peyer incident here in San Diego, many policies changed after the CHP officer Peyer was convicted with murdering Cara Knott while Peyer was on-duty. While at time he had red/blues, there was controversy of when should a woman pull over for an emergency vehicle?  The proposition was don't ever stop for a sedan with only red lights, as it may not be law enforcement. Then only pull over in a lighted area. That was before LED lamps, where any bozo can go buy a set of red/blues and put them on his dash or inside grill keeping them rather concealed, and go around pulling people over while impersonating a police officer. ~Rescue51

Does anyone know what is the status of the apparatus ? totaled ?