x635

New LAFD Structure Fire Helmet

8 posts in this topic

ralph.terrazas.1

Here’s our new LAFD Structure Fire Helmet! After long term field testing, a Department-wide member survey, and extensive staff work by the In-Service Training Section and our Labor/Mgt Equipment Committee this was the outcome. The LAFD is going with a modern helmet that has a traditional look:)

helmet.jpg

I was wondering what was the matter with the Helmets that the LAFD is already using? In other words what was the impetus for changing the Helmet style? Were there any complaints about them? Were there any issues with them? You have been using them so long already that the LA style helmets have become a LAFD tradition. I was wondering what year did the LAFD go the famous LA style helmets which you apparently are changing from?

They are also changing the Captain's helmet color from Orange to Red, like almost everyone else.  Arson helmet color to be decided later.

This has been long coming way back from the early 2000’s when the LAFD test out the FDNY style turnout gear and helmets.

Gear has a lifespan due to changes in NFPA regs some years ago, I believe the new rule is 10 years on all PPE

We changed helmets 2 times before I retired.  

I personally have a weight issue with the traditional style helmets . The First due helmet is by far the lightest headgear you can get.  As a note it also used to be the LEAST expensive, but not anymore.

Our helmets now require built in eye protection, the new helmets are NFPA compliant 

Looks like the new helmets are starting to get issued. Companies is Batt 12 using them.