Rescue51

News video on LAFD station 9's: Most busy fs in nation

7 posts in this topic

It looks like they’re running a third pumper out of that station.  It was one of the late 90’s Pierce’s, labeled “E447”. Maybe an additional peak-time rig?

400-series are Reserve Engines designed to provide extra capacity during high hazard days, emergency recall, and redeployment of staff personnel. They are numbered sequentially beginning with 401, then 402, etc., regardless of where they are assigned.

LAFD also has 500-series Reserve Trucks and 600-series Reserve RAs.

Edited by Generic

It’s a ready reserve that being used as engine 209. 

9s did run a 3rd 400 series engine on certain days during the summer and during the wild fires. 

I did a visit there for a paper I had to write. This was about 2 years ago. At that time they had 2 fully stuffed engines, a truck 2 ALS RA's and 2 BLS RA's.

I was there 20 minutes and in that time all of 9's resources were dispatched.

The FF and Eng's I talked to said the station get's 60-100 calls every 24 hours but since they have so many resources, the engines and truck run about 15-20 calls each per shift and get 4-5 hours uninterrupted sleep each night. The RA's get ran though. They said it wasn't uncommon for the RA's to be gone the entire shift and to only see those guys at shift change.

9s has been and will always be the busiest station in the city and one of the busiest in the nation due to skid row. Until that area is cleaned up it is what it is. I was at 9s back in 2000 when it was a tradition taskfore with only rescue 9 and 809. Then they made the change spiting the light force. Engine 209 and truck 9 was fully staffed and ran alone. Rescue 809 became 209. Today you have Truck 9, Engine 9 and 209, and Rescue 9, 209,809, and 900 ( 2nd BLS rescue). You also have FR 9 ( fast response ) and when needed a 3rd fully staffed engine ( 400 series )