nfd2004

My LA City/County trip in '84

14 posts in this topic

I also visited/buffed Detroit back around 1985/86. I had a few friends from the Newark/Jersey City area that were also buffs. I don't remember how we met, I only remember one was a police officer in Irvington, his brother ended up being a Battalion Chief in Elizabeth, and the other guy was a firefighter in Springfield, NJ. They were what I called "Professional Buffs". These guys had been all over. knew what company was doing what and what neighborhoods were burning.

I believe it was in 1984 when they went out to Detroit to buff what was called "Devils Night". It was the night before Halloween. So I guess October, 1984. When they came back, they told me that it was unbelievable. There were 200 serious working building fires that night. They told me that they would ride down a street and had buildings burning on both sides of them and in front of them. And they said there wasn't any companies to respond. Just too many fires.

Later Firehouse Magazine did a story on the fires of Detroit on that Devils Night. So the next year, I decided to go out there. They had every city car and truck out there patrolling for fires. Plus there were civilian patrols. Compines were teamed up to operate out of a few Command Firehouses throughout the city. It was tough to follow the action because very little activity was announced over the dept radio channel. You could hear a working fire going on but didn't know where it was.

Because of that, it turned out to be a little disappointing and really wasn't at all like the year before. I think I caught seven jobs that night. A few because I could see them. I know they had more than seven though.

Devils Night, 2013 saw about 40- 50 building fires as I understand it. The movie "Burn" tells its story. If you haven't seen it yet, it's worth checking out. And I think it's also out on DVD.

x635 likes this

Your postings in this thread has to be one of the best ever in the 11 year history of EMTBravo sites.  I thoroughly enjoying reading your tale, and am so thankful you chose to share it with us here.