Seagrave7

Beverly Hills Fire Department New Pierce PUC's

9 posts in this topic

nice rigs, the pierce puc pumper seems to be well liked by a lot of so-cal departments. quite a few departments getting them. as for Beverly hills seems like they get new engines every couple years , must be nice to have that kind of budget

Considering the current frontline Pierce Dash engines at BHFD are 2004's I wouldn't say new engines every 10 years is out of the norm. That's pretty good use of a front line engine. The 2004's will go to reserve and the 1993 engines (2) and one 1992 engine will be disposed of. Additionally the new PUC engines are CAFS engine. I believe a first for BHFD.

"Disposed of" is a bit harsh.  They will be retired.  This means they will be $old.  Just found "disposed of" a bit difficult to handle at this hour, though I know you meant well sir.  :o)

Au contraire, mon frère. I think you got lost in translation. Per the Webster dictionary the verb "dispose of" means to give or transfer to another. Where as to "retire" means to stop or withdraw. These older engines will either be sold at auction or given to a sister department somewhere else. Therefore, they still have some useful life to someone/ somewhere else. I would say "retire" sounds a bit harsh. ;-)

seagrave, I meant it as a generalization. there are departments around using 2004 rigs and will be for a while to come with their reserves being early to mid 1990's. in most departments it is 12-15 years front line and 5 years reserve