Monrovia1

LACoFD to buy Rosenbauer.

14 posts in this topic

I'm hearing that the next order of tiller quints for LA County will not be from KME but from Rosenabauer, Any truth? How does Ventura County like them?.

x635 likes this

Interesting move after a long time with KME exclusively.

But, REV Group is more or less disbanding KME, so I guess LACoFD is considering their options and Rosenbauer is one of them. 

Seems Rosenbauer is making inroads in the industry with increasing orders/deliveries. They seem to be innovating. KME has made much progress in reliability over the last decade or two. As good as Pierce is, I believe build wait times and the prices of Pierce equipment, present a compelling reason why agencies are looking at the alternatives. 

x635 likes this

On 10/2/2021 at 9:26 AM, e5911 said:

Seagrave!

I agree and I wish!

Yeah so the reality is it will likely go to one vendor and LACoFD will stay with them if they can get  reliability issues, if any  worked out,  Going to Seagrave is desirable but unless Seagrove is the low bidder, not likely.  The desire  is always to remain with one vendor so you keep ONE set of SPARE PARTS, training, , etc and with a fleet the size of county, you can see why they stayed with KME.  Kida a shame, KME likely made a beater truck recently because of the multiple orders that LA County made and the back and forth county had about quality issues.   Would love to find out why  they stayed with KME all these years. Could be cost, could be cutomer service   Also the bidding and contracting may completely out of the Fire Dept.s hands.  The Fire Dept may have had little choice about it, though I doubt it.

KME is not dispanding simply moving to centralize operations. County has 11 KME Engines on order as well. Rosenbauer  was the low bidder on the Quints.

Oh ok, I thought REV was consolidating brands, bodies etc and eventually KME was going away.

Looks like the bid hasn't been awarded quite yet, and has been through a lot of amendments and changes so far.. Also at the link below are the detailed specifications for the new tillers.

https://bit.ly/3jtaIOZ

As for KME's future, I haven't heard anything concrete about future plans other then the press release. Such a large and diverse line of products that KME manufactures simply can't be absorbed by other operations easily or quickly I would think. And that press release was kind of vague about KME's future, at least to me. Time should tell what happens, but KME losing such a large contract such as LACoFD would definitely hurt the bottom line for REV Group. 

15 hours ago, pump305 said:

County has purchased 11 quints from Rosenbauer and canceled the 11 engines from KME.  This is from my inside resorce on the Truck committee.

Do you happen to know why they cancelled the KME's? And do they plan on replacing those orders with Rosenbauer engines?

Rescue51 likes this