Rescue51

California front red steady and rear amber flashing question

6 posts in this topic

In California it seems I see more fire rigs running code with LED's, but they have no front continuous red (steady) and in rear, some departments no longer have any flashing ambers.  Santee FD is one of them, no directional amber stick either.  I thought California law required both the front steady red, and rearward flashing ambers.  Anyone have some insight into this.  Thank you.

The California Vehicle Code only requires a steady burning forward facing red light .There has never been a requirement for rear facing amber lights, although that has been fairly standard in California.

Rescue51 likes this

25252 & 25252.5 of the CA Vehicle Code address emergency lights. ie. steady burning red to the front visible at 1000 feet. Then any combo of lights for side & rear. 

Rescue51 likes this

A little off topic but I like the way how CHP has their lights set up when they’re rolling it’s in a flashing mode or strobe in mode and when their stops it goes to a steady burn

LED lighting have a program for steady burning lights. One is a true steady or you can have quick flash with a steady California legal light. So.. two in one.

I never knew anything changed re: the California Red, but I will say that some agencies seem to put one on just to put one on. Like, "OK, we're following the rules now". When I was last in Sacramento a few years ago, it was that way on their medics (at least how I saw it). Took a few moments to find the California Red, but it was tucked in the main light bar. 

I wonder if I'll ever live to see CHiPs cease their pissiness about blue lights.