oakuhmoto

LACoFD odd unit

7 posts in this topic

Today on Pulse Point I saw an odd unit dispatched to the Stub Hub Center on a medical call. The unit was “QRV5.” I’m guessing it stands for quick response vehicle. I’m aware of LAFD’s fast response units but haven’t heard of any similar programs from County. I also saw squad 428 dispatched on the same call. I’m guessing that it is a squad staffed for events. 

So what is the QRV unit? A Polaris Razr type of vehicle? A modified squad? I did a quick Google search but kept getting links to LAFD’s units.

That QRV5 unit is similar to LAFD's gator unit which is used for special events to transport patients to nearby ambulances.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:14 AM, Polecat said:

Would Squad 428 be a reserve Squad out of 28’s?

I believe so. I am only speculating as I am not positive but I believe the 4 series squads are staffed short term like special events as above. Once, I was told that when the AV becomes really busy and there are extra personnel to staff an additional squad, one will be staffed until it slows down. As an example, there is squad 134 and a temporarily staffed squad 4134. 

The aforementioned replies are accurate. In addition, the "400 series" squads took the place of the former Mobile Aids which are staffed as line medic units for extended wildland incidents within the county. This allows for the local squad or squads assigned to the wildland incident to go back in service. These squads have also been staffed with personnel to cover squads when they are occasionally taken out-of-service for mandatory training.