e5911

CCFD Squads

5 posts in this topic

What are the Purpose of the "Paramedic Squad"? I see some of these units are assigned to Urban Stations.  Back in the Day a "Squad" was a mini pumper assigned to a rural station, there was a Yankee Light rescue that was for High Angle Rescue but there was only one.   Are they replacing transport rescues ?

Not a big fan of the Lighting package...cant believe its NFPA compliant...

q-1878-clark-county-fire-department-light-rescue-remount-001.jpg

In simple terms they are cheaper to buy. These units run the same as Los Angeles county fire paramedic squads. Don’t know if your familiar with the Los Angeles area but it works like this. On EMS calls with LA county fire and a few other depts. you get a engine ( bls ) a paramedic squad ( als ) and a private ambulance ( bls ) or a paramedic engine and private ambulance. The medics will determine if the patient is als or bls. If bls the medic will turn over the patient to the private ambulance emts and clear the call back in service for the next one.

So are these ALS Squads intended to replace the Clark County Fire Department ambulances or are they just there to supplement the Ambulances?

Thanks

Funny, what's old is new again, in the Early days of the paramedics CCFD and LVFR used a utility body Squad for their medics

I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but the only Urban Squads I have seen have been at Stations with a second rescue. 

Squad 32 is in service and active. They wanted to put a second Rescue @ 32 but did not have the space. Hence the "Squad" with a short body. 

These 2 pictured at Fire Trucks Unlimited (I am almost positive the bodies on these 2 "new" units are the bodies from those previously mentioned light rescues), the pictures show them numbered for 18 and 27. Both of those stations currently run 2 Rescues. Maybe the plan is to replace the second rescue with these? County fire does not transport much. It would be a weird coincidence. Unless they are adding a "3rd Rescue" and going this route at those stations. 

And....COVID may slow down some of these plans. Even with the Strip reopened, Squad 32 and Rescue 218, and Rescue 227 appear to be out of service with at lease some regularity. Checking Pulse Point as I type, None of those have run any calls since 1100 (1530 right now).