scnradio

SDFD USAR 41

10 posts in this topic

I have a couple of question on the unit. Is the unit Staffed 24/7 or is it crossed staffed? Does it work as a rescue or USAR?  I have also heard it is USAR 2 2nd unit when the normal unit is in the shop.

I will answer best I can, if anyone has the expertise on it, feel free to correct me:  I believe USAR41 has a dedicated staff 24/7, and is not cross-staffed by the truck crew there.  USAR41 will operate as a regular rescue too, besides the USAR capacity.  Do not know if USAR41 goes to Fs2's, when USAR2 is down for maintenance.  I doubt it does, but maybe I am not aware of something in San Diego Fire-Rescue.  There is also Rescue44 which is a support rescue to the lifeguards with the over-the-side crane.  It's a unique spec-built rig that has been very successful in many rescues.  It has also been assigned to calls involving tree rescues.  All the SDFR trucks carry rescue gear too, mainly used for t/c's and entrapment.  Often the USAR's are assigned but most often cancelled because the truck crew can perform the extrication.  Pics below of Rescue44 (photo credit to Fire Apparatus & Emergency Equipment, for first two photos, credit to FireHouse World for 3rd photo.  ~Rescue51

1708FA_Ong11.jpg

1708FA_Ong1.jpg

DSC08410.5571a6a96a4f9.jpg

Edited by Rescue51
additional photo

USAR41 is cross-staffed by the crew of Engine 41.

It has been used by USAR2 when no reserve rescue is available for them. Currently there is one older reserve rescue unit still around. A KME if I recall correctly.

Rescue 44 is operated by the lifeguards and is quartered at the Lifeguard HQ at Quivira Point. It has been special called to non-coastal related incidents sporadically. One I can remember was a tree rescue in Rancho Bernardo.

Hope this helps.

Rescue51 likes this

Thanks for the correction 'E0001'.  Before USAR2 (which was USAR4) when 4's had Heavy Rescue 4 (which, yes, was a KME, I thought that was in reserves), my info was that USAR41 was dedicated and not cross-staffed.  Did that possibly change once USAR4 (now USAR2) went into operation?  And prior to the KME Heavy Rescue 4, they were running a Pierce walk-around and that went into reserves but I heard the engine failed so they sold that off.  Take care. 

SDFR's former Heavy Rescues starting with the old Pierce as R4, then the 2004 KME Predator.  Both no longer in fleet.  Photo credits to Flickr.    ~Rescue51

4623241246_0eebfd8fb6_b.jpg

7018479387_b8afe2fbd0_b.jpg

Here is the newer USAR2 from SDFR (which was initially housed as USAR4 nearby).  USAR41 is older but I believe very similar.

SDFR USAR2.jpg

The bottom photo (KME Rescue) was taken by me.  Here is a better photo of the old Pierce, plus the newer Pierce at USAR 41.  Both taken by me.  Here’s a link to my SDFD page on Flickr...

12771CB6-6B6D-4CAC-8A67-496FF3A091D9.jpeg

2F42D8D3-2EA3-458F-8D57-E12A1B7579A7.jpeg

Greetings 'Jwimig', I gave the credits to Flickr because I did a Goggle search, but I did not go into Flickr.  Sorry for my lacking proper attribution back to you sir.  I will go check out your Flickr page.  ~Rescue51

16 hours ago, Rescue51 said:

Greetings 'Jwimig', I gave the credits to Flickr because I did a Goggle search, but I did not go into Flickr.  Sorry for my lacking proper attribution back to you sir.  I will go check out your Flickr page.  ~Rescue51

That’s ok.  No worries.

Rescue51 likes this

Thanks for your understanding 'Jwimig'.  I tried to edit my posts to add your Flickr link but cannot edit now--I think there is a time lapse where a post is locked.  You are a good photographer--those are great pics you took of rigs.  It always amazes me when I see rigs for sale, or in someone's website for new deliveries, and the photographer does not take very good apparatus photos.  No perspective.  Your photos are good because they feature the most important side (port) in my opinion, with a vantage point of seeing the front too.