DATE:
January 8, 2019

TO:
Honorable Mayor and City Council members

Nahid Razi, Purchasing Agent

SUBJECT:
Purchase of Fire Engine

RECOMMENDATION:
That the City Council adopts the next Resolution in order, and authorizes the Purchasing Agent,
in accordance with Municipal Code 3.20.010(C)(5), to execute an agreement with Pierce
Manufacturing, Inc. for the purchase of a Pierce Triple Combination Pumper in the amount of
$758,566.37.

BACKGROUND:
On June 26, 2018, the City Council approved the vehicle replacement budget, which included
the replacement of a 12-year old fire engine pumper. On December 11, 2018, the City Council
authorized an increase to the budgeted fire engine due to an unforeseen price increase. Pierce
Manufacturing, Inc. is the supplier of standardized fire engine equipment for Heartland Fire and
Rescue fleet because the equipment has proven to be very reliable with minimal down time for
repairs.

The City of Los Angeles awarded RFQ No. 4828 – Fire Truck, Triple Combination Apparatus on
June 1, 2016 to Pierce Manufacturing, Inc. Upon review of the City of Los Angeles’s bid for fire
engines, it was determined that the equipment available under this contract will meet the needs
of the City and is compatible with existing equipment.

The City of Los Angeles bid allowed the successful bidder to permit other public agencies to
"piggyback" onto its bid award. Piggybacking is a type of intergovernmental cooperative
purchase in which an agency is extended the same pricing and terms of a competitively-bid 

contract entered into by another agency. Municipal Code 3.20.010(C)(5) authorizes the city to

acquire equipment in cooperation with another agency.

FISCAL IMPACT:

The fiscal impact of this purchase is $758,566.37. Sufficient funds are available in the Fiscal

Year 2018-19 Annual Budget Vehicle/Equipment Replacement (605000).

Edited by 619Emergencys

Thanks for the info '619Emergencys'.  It makes good sense to me to piggyback on fleet purchases and seize any opportunity to save money (those Pierce rigs have gotten expen$ive).  Wonder if this rig is to replace E7 (on the hill), and swap the older pumper 7's, with the current 6's or 9's, and put the new rig there at 6's (highest run volume I believe, unless E8 now has that award).  9's is getting a bit older but the run volume is pretty low at Fs9's. 

Those LAFD triples are heavy duty, so going to 6 or 8 makes sense.....any word why Truck 6 spending so much time in shop?

Rescue51 likes this

Hi Mesabill, I suspect T6 spends so much time in shop as it still rolls on too many medical aids.  Though the run demand on T6 has gone down with the addition of Squad-6 (in 2018?), all those years and too many NLS/BLS/ALS runs, beat-up the truck.  NLS is my new term: Non Life Support or the "frequent flyers" who may not be able to afford the taxi cab, or Uber.  

mesabill likes this

Speaking of trucks, San Miguel is looking for a new truck for 15s which has been out of service for a few weeks now.

Yes, San Miguel Truck 15 is run a bit too much too on medical aids.  Are they running Rescue 15 (Or Rescue 46 per radio)?  I was told by the San Miguel BC (right before they left Cal Fire) that they were going to be working towards a truck purchase (expensive proposition).  With the Viejas and Sycuan Pierce quints (with I believe 65 foot ladders) sightings down at San Miguel shops (Fs15), wonder if they could requisition one of those for the time being.  Wonder how San Miguel's budgets are fairing these days. 

Does this mean ECFD/Heartland is not going to have the PUC pump on the new rig, but go back to standard pump panel? 

New pumper will be a PUC on an Arrow XT cab/chassis. Unknown as of now which station it will go to. Squad 6 has decreased run volume on both E6 and T6 significantly, as it is first out on most low and moderate acuity medical calls.  E206 has been running because T6 was involved in a serious accident in early December. It is currently being repaired at the Pierce facility in Ontario with an ETA of 3-4 months. 

Rescue51 likes this

Thanks 'diamond682'.  Good information.  This is why I always rant at running the trucks on so many medical aids, which as you know, Fs6's has incredibly high MedAid volume (Too often BLS level): If T6 was not always running to these EMS calls, it likely would not have had a crash, and it would have so many less miles/cycles on it.  I did not know of the recent crash, any details?  This is T6's 2nd accident, early on it had an accident blamed on the then activated All-Steer T6 was sporting.  La Mesa (also Heartland Fire & Rescue) should place a squad at Fs11's, to reduce the run load on T11.  Take care. 

Nice looking rig, not too much different than current E8 and E6, though it is different in some respects I see.  All black wheels, interesting, same as T6. Looks like a different lightbar too.  Is the current E8 gonna go to 7's, or perhaps 9's?   I was sorta thinking Fs9's would get the next new engine in El Cajon, not 8's, though they do have a high call volume out of that house. 

Edited by Rescue51
change

Actually surprised Fs6's did not get the new rig, that Pierce pumper they have there must have some miles/hours on it.