EMT_FS46

LAFD IFT

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering when did the Los Angeles Fire Department start doing IFT’s ( interfacitlity transports) and how does it work vs calling a private ambulance. I know the LAFD dispatch for a IFT is a ems captain and a engine and rescue. Why is the fire department called vs a private ambulance ?

LAFD has been doing IFT's for quite awhile. When I was working at 77's, we would respond to IFT's from (usually) Pacifica Hospital to Childrens. I'm not sure what the policy is. 

I didn't even know LAFD did IFT's. Is this only for critical care transfers? I highly doubt they do hospital discharges to nursing homes LOL.

No. No IFT’s to nursing homes. As you said, critical care stuff. What happens is an Engine, RA and EMS Captain are dispatched and determine that the patient in fact needs to be transferred via LAFD RA. If they are, the patient is loaded and transported. I have been on a couple of them where we did deny them LAFD transport and then had the hospital call for a private ambulance to transport.

That was quite some time ago, I believe now, they pretty much transport every request. 

It depends on when they arrive at the incident, and whether they are a Paramedic RA or an EMT RA. The EMT RA’s (800 series ambulances) arrive on scene and are sometimes assigned utilities (shut off gas, electric etc) or they can be attached with an Engine Company and be assigned fire attack. A Paramedic RA is usually assigned Medical standby. They will bring the stretcher with equipment (trauma box, defibrillater) and standby either by themselves or they are attached to the RIC team. 

I was with LAFD for 31 years and enjoyed every day of it, and retired in 2014 as a Captain. 

Each incident is different depending on the immediate needs of the Incident Commander. 

Edited by Polecat

The rescues can also be attached to a truck company and go to the roof for ventilation and other truck work.

Are there still any single function paramedics left with ths LAFD or are all of them firefighter/paramedics as of now?

Is the reason for the IFT due to the needing ALS transport and the private ambulance company not having any ALS units available ?