Fire5

San Francisco probation.

6 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity, what does probation in SFFD consist of? i.e. quarterly tests, daily evals etc? And roughly what percent of people get let go during probation?

6 months engine   6 month test = written pump test, pump test, maybe a drive test                   * emt test, skills testing, written test, physical agility

6 months truck     1 year test =  written aerial test, inventory test, aerial test, maybe a drive test      * skills testing, written test, physical agility

you could get engine or truck time first, doesnt matter. Everything with a star in front of it is tentative. They've drastically changed it since I went through the tower but heard it is something along the lines of what I typed up after the stars. Most challenging out of all of the above is the "pump test" [ my opinion and the opinion of most ]. You have a probie book that needs to be signed off [ hopefully everyday you get a couple skills signed off ] and you'll be the center of battalion drills on weekends and you'll be taking trips down to the tower with your company to practice evolutions. Very very rare that someone gets let go but can happen. Dont be that guy!

hope this helps

fdny1075thebox likes this

Let me also mention to any and all candidates with hopes of becoming a "Probie Firefighter" in any career dept.

My advice that I recieved a long time ago was "eyes and ears open, and mouth shut". Also, whatever you do on the outside now reflects on your entire dept. Go out and get yourself in trouble, get arrested, and EVERYBODY looks bad.

Recently in a small dept here, there were two individuals that got arrested on two seperate incidents. Both happened within a month of each other, and of course showed up in the local newspaper. One member got arrested for assault when he got involved in a fight in a bar. Another member, who had just been promoted, got arrested with his wife for stealing $80.00 worth of crap. A T-shirt, a cup, and a key chain. How dumb is that ? (His wife also stole a T-shirt and she's a nurse in one of the largest and best hospitals around here).

Two very stupid moves that have dragged an entire fire dept through the mud.

Thanks for that info, wdho. That sounds like a pretty intense probationary period(as it should be). Interesting about a "Probationary Book" that gets signed off. As far as driving a Truck Co., I assume you're taught how to drive and how to tiller it as well.

Yes, during the tower, you get driver training on the engine and driver/tiller on the truck. by the time you get off probation, the expectation is that you can drive and pump at a fire and driver / tiller at a fire as well. We dont hold the position of engineer here. Everyone is accountable for all positions.

Heres is a more detailed list of a 6 month exam [ minus the manipulative exams specific to your  truck/engine assignment ]:

physical fitness evaluation - 9 events

1500 ft walk

pull up / chin up

30 axe swings

24 ft ladder raise

35 ft ladder extension raise

large line drag 80 ft

40 cycles of ceiling hook / overhaul simulator

hose bundle carry to 4th floor

85 lb dummy drag

back down the tower with bundle

4 fire suppression manipulative evals:

could be any of these- 50ft ladder raise [all positions ], knots /ropes, scba, 24 ft ladder raise, extinguishers, high pressure hydrant, hose bundles, make and break, or 35 ft ladder

150 question fire suppression written exam

10 EMT skills

125 question EMT written exam

50 question pump or truck written exam

WDHO