x635

Elegy For A Pig

4 posts in this topic

Adam-12 is one of my favorite shows. It was very much like "Emergency", but for the LAPD. Same creators, similar time period.

I just watched this powerful, awesome episode for the first time yesterday. Although it is almost 40 years old, the words spoken, most especially at the end of the episode haven't changed one bit.  What do you think?

Watch for free on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/46081

"Log 105: Elegy for a Pig" (a.k.a. simply "Elegy for a Pig") is the 60th episode of the television series Adam-12.

This episode, which focuses on the life of a recently killed police officer, is notable for being a major departure from the series' usual "day in the life" format.

The show is presented as a tribute to police officers who have fallen in the line of duty.

In keeping with the show's somber tone, the opening and closing credits are done differently than usual: the theme music is absent, and the white credits are shown against a black background. Also, the opening credits are spoken aloud by the voice of series co-creator Jack Webb, who finishes with, "For the next 30 minutes, Elegy for a Pig." There is also no dialogue, only voice-over narration from Martin Milner.

Synopsis;

Officers Malloy (Martin Milner) and Reed (Kent McCord) are attending the funeral of slain policeman Tom Porter (guest star Mark Goddard), who was a friend and academy classmate of Malloy's. In flashbacks, Malloy remembers meeting and working with Porter during their "rookie" years; Porter's marriage to Marge (Rachel Romen) and the birth of their two children; and Porter being killed while chasing a robbery suspect.

Watch for free on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/46081

fdny1075thebox likes this

Very good episode one of my favorite's of Adam 12. I watch Emergency, Adam 12 and Dragnet on Hulu.

A very poignant episode and one of my personal favorites! I believe it was really one of the first TV episodes to really delve into the tragedy of a Line of Duty Deaths, fire or police-related. Adam-12 has got to be the most realistic police-related show ever made, at least in my opinion. I myself have this episode, along with the entire series of Adam-12 on DVD, as well as Emergency!. I must say that Jack Webb, the creator of Adam-12 and Emergency!, and the famed LAPD Sgt. Joe Friday on Dragnet of the '50's and '60's did an outstanding job overall for his time at portraying realism regarding emergency services, giving the public a first hand look at how life in the fire service or police force really is. He showed the world, really for the first time, what these brave men and women go through on a daily basis, however with no unnecessary added drama like you see today, "just the facts" as Sgt. Friday would say.

i just went thru both series adam 12 and dragnet i have enjoyed these shows since i was young boy . i am aging myself but they were new when i saw them . all 3 shows emergency and ad 12 and dragnet . were always favorites . who of us old guys didnt want to be paramedics like john and roy !!  RA  Cinader and Jack Web got it right ..  when i worked on the ambulance we would watch emergency if we were in quaters . we called it continuing education .