California Red

San Diego E17 accident

4 posts in this topic

Engine 17 got into a collision with a car today(?). No firefighters were hurt, but the car was very badly damaged, and at least two from that car went to the hospital, if I understand. 

Some of the camerawork was overhead, and showed what looked like "I17" on the roof of the engine. Is this wrong? If not, is "I" used for a reserve piece?

Engine 17 got into a collision with a car today(?). No firefighters were hurt, but the car was very badly damaged, and at least two from that car went to the hospital, if I understand. 

Some of the camerawork was overhead, and showed what looked like "I17" on the roof of the engine. Is this wrong? If not, is "I" used for a reserve piece?

The "I" is actually "SND" spelled vertically.  San Diego's 3 letter identifier.

Oh, OK. So it was just a weird angle. 

Yeah, I've seen those three-letter agency codes. I wonder if they originated in OC. I seem to have noticed them very clearly a long time ago up there (usually on black or otherwise off-color signs [HTB Exxx, etc).

Thanks.

Oh, OK. So it was just a weird angle. 

Yeah, I've seen those three-letter agency codes. I wonder if they originated in OC. I seem to have noticed them very clearly a long time ago up there (usually on black or otherwise off-color signs [HTB Exxx, etc).

Thanks.

Actually, its a statewide system, that was developed in the early 70s. Not all FDs "advertize" their Identifiers on the rigs.  

Here is a link to Firescope's list of Identifiers, and all the Strike Teams Numbers assigned to the various FDs or counties.

http://www.firescope.org/macs-docs/MACS-410-2.pdf

Hope that helps.