joeyk48

any comments on rev group buying kme

3 posts in this topic

anybody have any comments  on this, particularly lacofd, ocfa as they are big into buying kme. think there will be any major changes

I would only say Pierce seems to be the best at this point in quality, engineering, innovation.  However, as far as I still know, Pierce in most cases whether stock, custom builds, optioning out everything, is more expensive.  I though believe the higher initial investment will payoff if you can keep the rig in-service more and extend the life until retirement.  More than a decade ago a "shop" mechanic for Lakeside Fire told me KME meant "Keep the Mechanic Employed."  I think at that time they had replaced some Pierce front-lines with the KME's, the Pierces had replaced Crowns.  He like the KME part of job security.  Lakeside is now a big Smeal buyer.  They seem to like that Urban-interface configuration/rig.

From what I am told now, KME has come way up on quality and they are very much a strong competitor to Pierce.  I think much of this comes down to not only the bids a department receives after their RFQ, but also sales and after-sales support of the product.  Seems like KME is playing strong in Southern California. 

I also am seeing more Spartans around.  Even a few Rosenbauers.  Back in the mid 2000's I thought Ferrara getting some traction in Southern California, but that seems to have slipped away. E-One seems to have lost its presence here in Southern California.  ALF is history.  Most the rig sales/deliveries I see around So.Cal are Pierce and KME.  

Rev group seems to have nice portfolio of leading ambulance companies. Like wheeled coach and leader and many more They also own e-one. Time will tell if they will change how KME operates and if that has any effects on sales.