Rescue51

Plane crash assignment- Santee, CA

4 posts in this topic

Yesterday, the dispatch was initiated for a Cessna 340 (twin-engine piston powered, AvGas fuel) that crashed north of Gillespie Airport, near Santana High School (Jeremy St./Greencastle St.). The airplane was on a flight plan from Yuma, AZ to Montgomery Airport, San Diego. Based on altitude data I looked at, and the cloud bases, I believe the instrument pilot was in the clouds around time it appears something caused his loss of control. The pilot was killed, as was a poor UPS driver making deliveries. The occupants of the house most severely impacted and with rapid fire development, it appears two occupants were rescued by bystanders, though the dog was lost. So far no more updates on if the fatality count has gone up. Two residential homes were destroyed, the corner house both by impact damage and fire. 2nd house by fire. I saw a picture of one of the engines of the plane in a 3rd house, laying in a room, with major floor tile damage.  ~Rescue51

Here are the units dispatched, went en route, and all were at one time on-scene. Some of those unit numbers I do not recognize:

4101, 4102, 4202, 4801, 5801, B1, B2, BLS403, E1, E2, E19, REDX, SDFR HazMat 1, SDFR B4, E205, E4, M2, M4, M5, ReHab 1, L&A 46, E6, E8, E9, T4, T6, R3, RE12, TIP 10

California Red: Thanks. Tip10 is the PERT kind of unit with trained trauma intervention psychologist, social worker. There were many people in that neighborhood traumatized by the crash/explosion/fire and likely seeing the UPS driver on the ground with fatal injuries. I've seen REDX list before on assignments, and don't know either what that is designated for. It looked to Alpine's chief/BC/division chief, was also on-scene. I am wondering if he just happened to be in the area at time of event.

California Red likes this