scnradio

3 man truck company

3 posts in this topic

So yesterday I saw a TDA truck company in central California running calls all over there zone.  How can they perform on a fire with just 3 men?  Yesterday was not the first day I saw the truck company running with just 3 guys.

It is a shame that so many of these trucks have been reduced to running 80% medical aids.  The expensive trucks are run into the ground on wear-and-tear on nosebleeds and frequent flyers.  I have been vocal on this issue for a long time.  Thankfully a bunch of agencies are adopting squads to run on the medical aids, reducing the truck from miles, and the higher risk of collisions than a standard pumper or smaller vehicle.  I am assuming the agency you refer to may be short staffed, maybe the front line pumper is down so they are cross-staffing to the truck with only a crew of 3, and likely running mostly medical aids.  I agree with you, a truck company should be 4-crew if you want that as your resource on a working structure fire.

The truck in question is not crossed-staffed.  To add salt to the question.  When I moved here the dept was a 6 station dept.  Now it is 4 with rolling brown outs on units.  The truck has been hit tons of time with the brown out thanks to the city board.  If a station is browned out and there is a cross staffed unit there like hazmat or rescue it is out of service to for the time period.