Rescue51

Heartland Fire-Rescue Truck 6

11 posts in this topic

Anyone know when HFR's T6 (El Cajon) is going to go back in service?  It has been down a longtime, a bit surprising as it is not a real old rig (though not super new either, vintage 2005).  They had issues with it way back with the All-Steer feature which I believe they had disabled.  As I predicted long ago, you use a truck as much as T6 was being run on medicals, and you wear it out before its time.  I am glad they now run Squad-6 to keep the wear-and-tear down on T6.  

I may be wrong but I think the truck has been OOS for nearly a year. I wonder if it's going to be repaired or written off at this point. Certainly leaves the zone light in terms of Truck companies.

Rescue51 likes this

Certainly "Codethree".  If I were Santee (T4 with the newer Pierce TDA), I'd be a bit upset since they are rolling into El Cajon so much for structures and rescues. 

There is a post that says Truck 6 was at Pierce dealer being repaired due to a  nasty traffic accident it was involved in, must have been some heavy duty damage

Here's an example of East County (San Diego) being a bit truck weak: Tonight there was a commercial structure response in Alpine, Santee FD's Truck-4 responded, though not sure if cancelled prior to arrival.  That is a long haul for T4.  In the old days it would have been Lakeside's E3S.  I saw E202S rolled with E2 on a structure response the other day. 

Edited by Rescue51
update

T6 has been repaired and is currently awaiting testing from Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL) to certify the aerial is safe. Once that is complete it will return to service. As I have posted previously, the truck was involved in a collision in early December 2018 which caused serious damage to the aerial. All Steer on T6 has never been disabled and is used daily for added maneuverability. While I cannot speak specifically for Santee or members on Truck 4, I know most firefighters enjoy going to fires and rescues regardless of jurisdiction. 

mesabill likes this

'diamond682' thanks for the information and some clarification here on my part: An engineer on T6 told me years ago they had disabled the All-Steer on the truck due to some kind of malfunction and a bit a minor mishap/accident due to it.  Perhaps they did some testing and re-activated it, which I was not aware of.   I agree that all FF's including those assigned to Santee's T4, have no problem providing assistance to surrounding agencies, my reference was mainly to the higher-ups in city council or budget committee, however they do that money stuff in that department.   Once again, good Squad-6 is running many of the calls the truck would be on when it goes back in service.  More agencies are doing the same thing so they don't burnout their truck too fast. 

Went by station Heartland station 9 today and saw Truck 6 in open apparatus door. Maybe close to returning to service.

Rescue51 likes this

Thought I saw T6 at HTF the other day, in the back of 9's.  If it was actually T6 and I was not looking at perhaps T11, it looked to me like T6 might be sporting new front LED code lights next to the grill.  I'll try to get a closer look and confirm, one day soon. 

Just saw T6 roll by a little while ago, and it looks like the same red code lights near headlamps, not the same clear LED lenses I saw on another truck in back of HTF last week.