Rescue51

Question on rear warnings on Santee FD's rigs

3 posts in this topic

I was curious, Santee FD on their Pierce pumpers (E4, E204, E5, E205), not sure on T4, do not have rear amber warnings or directionals.  Only all red (except turn signals).  I thought the vehicle code here in California required at least one rearward flashing amber?  The medic rigs do have rearward flashing ambers.  Just was wondering. 

The CVC is so outdated. All public safety vehicles should have red and blue lights, front and back. It's much more visible at night than just red, which blends in with traffic. Time to get with the times Chipies!

Rescue51 likes this

'buckeyefyrfoto' I am with you.  In our state, I guess blue is designated only for law enforcement, but I agree, blue is an attention getter.  Studies show the blue is more visible during daylight, and red is more effective at night.  My opinion is on the rear, it should be a combo of red, blue and an amber directional.  On the sides it should be a combo of red/blue/white, and on front the same (red/blue/white).  I know on the San Diego Fire-Rescue rigs, the fronts you do get red and white in drive (transmission) and once in park, only the reds are activated.  It makes sense at a fire scene as the white are really bright (especially in fog).  Way back Alpine Fire ordered two E-One Hurricanes (Chief Downing got those for Alpine, one E17, the other E24 for a station that ended up never being funded).  Chief Downing was very progressive.  But those rigs had the most advanced new strobe light bars, side lighting, intersection lights and rear warning.  It was Star Wars and more with the light show.  An engineer on E17 told me he had to turn off all the warning/code lights rolling code, because it was too distracting to him especially if it was foggy.  The control consoles back then did not give you enough control to limit what you did not want, it was like all or nothing.