Rescue51

Question about Pierce vs. Seagrave

6 posts in this topic

In Carlsbad lately, and noticed a newer looking Seagrave pumper.  It seems most new orders I see around California give Pierce the biggest market share-%.  How does the Seagrave rigs compare?  And why does Carlsbad operate the Seagraves where they do no seem to have much a presence in the Southwest?   It seems to me these days the new orders also go to KME, maybe Smeal, Spartan, and less likely to E-One.  E-One use to deliver many rigs to California, but they seem to have lost their presence in this area.  Any input?   Thank you.

It's all about price,   Pierce, Seagrave, Sutphen etc...  are  the most experience

KME, Rosenbauer, Smeal  etc..   are $100,000's  cheaper per rig 

Look what happen to all the departments that bought ALF's,  rigs are only a few years old and there falling

apart and you can't get parts.  Pierce's will last 15 years to 20 years  Rosebauer 's will last 5 to 10 years

Some departments in AZ  whose 2010 Rosenbauer's are already being replaced vs and some have Pierce's from early 1990's still in service ,   Phoenix is running  many Saulsbury's from 1990's as front line rigs  because many ALF's  are OS)  until they get there  new Pierce Engines  

Edited by GilbertFIRE

I agree 'GilbertFIRE'.  No doubt it seems Pierce has become the leader all the way around, though they are pricey and I can only guess the wait on build times is high.  Didn't Phoenix at one time have a bunch of E-One's?   Orange County in California has a bunch of E-Ones.  San Miguel Fire Protection District ran a bunch of them.  I think they still have a few in reserve status.  So did E-One lose market share in the Southwest due to lack of a dealer, or any quality issues, because at one time they seemed to be fairly popular.  I forgot to mention Ferrara Fire Apparatus which seems to build some good rigs and some agencies around San Diego have some. 

Re; E-One's,  Glendale is still buying  only E-one  Engines & Trucks, but they have been buying there LT's from SVI  Also Daisy Mountain is buying them too

Phoenix  right now is buying Pierce Engine's & Ladders and  Rosenbauer  Ladder Tenders & Utility's  

Dermers for Ambulances   

back  in WNY, commissioner's buy E-One's because they liked going to Florida in the Winter vs  Appleton or somewhere else with cold climate 

Edited by GilbertFIRE

Here's another interesting thing about buying other than Pierce:  Escondido Fire recently took delivery of a Sutphen ladder truck.

Escondido also had a Sutphen tower before the current one. And a Pierce 85' Snorkel before that one. Also had a few Sutphen engines.

Edited by Engine5161