firepost

Long Beach without a Tower Ladder for over a year?

9 posts in this topic

So I see that  it's been over a year since Long Beach had replaced their "Seagrave" Tower Ladder 7  with a Pierce rear mounted straight Aerial Ladder.

Does anyone know why they didn't replace Tower Ladder 7 with a new Tower Ladder? Long Beach was one of the few fire departments in the  Great LA area that had been using a Tower Ladder for a while. Was it an issue of having adequate equipment space on the new Truck? I had read that the new Truck seemed o have  more space on it.

Was it an issue of Price as I know that  tight budgets have been an issue because didn't Long Beach at one time have at least 5 Trucks in service also?

Would you know if Long Beach has any plans to eventually purchase a new Tower Ladder?

While Tower Ladders  aren't used by many LA area fire departments the fact that it had been using one  would have made  them having a Tower Ladder even more indispensable as if a Tower Ladder was needed the nearby Towerless fire departments could always call Long Beach to send their Tower Ladder on Mutual AId.

Towers are typically overweight for CA weight laws.  They would require a special permit.

Old T7 Tower Ladder is in reserve for the next 5 years or so. Simply went with a straight stick on the new Pierce T7.

On 1/30/2021 at 0:40 PM, pump305 said:

Old T7 Tower Ladder is in reserve for the next 5 years or so. Simply went with a straight stick on the new Pierce T7.

Thanks for the information pump 305.Why do you think that they went to a Tower Ladder this time, Was it the cost or was it really because they needed a permit for the weight of the a new Tower Ladder? I would figure that since that already were using a Tower Ladder that they wouldn't need a new permit,

SInce Fire Departments in California need "weight permits" for fire apparatus would in your opinion you say that that is an example of being over regulation, I have never heard of that before but that does go a long way of explaining as to why there aren't that many fire departments in California that current use Tower Ladders. If I am correct Huntington Beach still has one correct? I know that the San Diego FIre Department did at one time have as many as 4 Tower Ladders and at least one Snorkel. That does explain why San Diego hasn't  purchased any additional Tower Ladders but It might also have something to do with the price of a new Tower Ladder as compared to a Straight Aerial Ladder. 

I know that the Los Angeles CIty Fire Department has had a long time policy of Not Using Tower Ladders or Large Snorkels however Long Beach fire department had been using one for a while already. Since Long Beach is still keeping their former Tower Ladder 7 in reserve they could probably special call it on a fire or emergency if they feel that there is a need for one.

It was not a matter of cost.  It was a matter of weight.  The previous tower was grandfathered in to the previous laws, so it did not need to be permitted, as was HB's tower.  If they were to order a platform today, it would have to adhere to the current weight laws.

On 12/29/2020 at 10:30 AM, firepost said:

So I see that  it's been over a year since Long Beach had replaced their "Seagrave" Tower Ladder 7  with a Pierce rear mounted straight Aerial Ladder.

Does anyone know why they didn't replace Tower Ladder 7 with a new Tower Ladder? Long Beach was one of the few fire departments in the  Great LA area that had been using a Tower Ladder for a while. Was it an issue of having adequate equipment space on the new Truck? I had read that the new Truck seemed o have  more space on it.

Was it an issue of Price as I know that  tight budgets have been an issue because didn't Long Beach at one time have at least 5 Trucks in service also?

Would you know if Long Beach has any plans to eventually purchase a new Tower Ladder?

While Tower Ladders  aren't used by many LA area fire departments the fact that it had been using one  would have made  them having a Tower Ladder even more indispensable as if a Tower Ladder was needed the nearby Towerless fire departments could always call Long Beach to send their Tower Ladder on Mutual AId.

Are you aware that the City of Santa Fe Springs located in Los Angeles County operates a reat mount platform.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:42 PM, Monrovia1 said:

Are you aware that the City of Santa Fe Springs located in Los Angeles County operates a reat mount platform.

SFSFD currently has a new Platform on order as well.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:00 PM, tmfd604 said:

SFSFD currently has a new Platform on order as well.

No I wasn't aware of it thanks. I do remember some years ago like in the early 90s Sanrte Fe Springs did run with a Tower Ladder however.