Rescue51

Rear amber traffic directors

3 posts in this topic

Folks, I've noticed on most the rigs in at least California, that the rear amber traffic directors (some call them arrow sticks, traffic advisers or directional light bars), are fairly low intensity compared to other similar lights on other kinds of vehicles like Cal Trans, utility company vehicles, trash trucks, etc..  The ones on the non fire rigs, are much more bright, visible and effective, in my opinion.  Does anyone know the theory behind this, and if perhaps the arrow sticks are set at a lower intensity lighting on fire rigs?? 

I know when LA City Fire installed them on their apparatus, the light stick control head had a selector switch to choose high or low, along with a directional selector. This was for night time responses. The original light stick installed were turned on separately from the master switch. Now, it turns on with the master switch. 

Edited by Polecat
Rescue51 likes this

8 hours ago, Polecat said:

I know when LA City Fire installed them on their apparatus, the light stick control head had a selector switch to choose high or low, along with a directional selector. This was for night time responses. The original light stick installed were turned on separately from the master switch. Now, it turns on with the master switch. 

Thank you Polecat!  It sounds like maybe the amber stick is being left in low intensity for daytime operations which is why they seem less bright to me.  I know many of the L.E. agencies use an automatic sensor for day/night and will set the intensity of the LED's in the light bar for appropriate time of operations/brightness.