firepost

A desperate need for another Fire Station in Sylmar

7 posts in this topic

A new fire station and fire company was supposed to have been built for the LAFD city fire department in 2006 by  a developer but was never built.  The City had even broke ground at 16320 Foothill Drive but the developer didn't follow through however the need for at least one additional station in Sylmar hasn't gone away and as recent as February 2023 Fox News 11 did an excerpt on the need for the Fire Staton which was supposed to be number 31, but was never built.

52 minutes ago, Monrovia1 said:

Have you contacted the Chief Engineer, Mayor or Council person who reps the area to voice these concerns?

Monrovia did you watch the newsclip video?. If you did you would find that the City Council member was interviewed for this news story. If you click your mouse on the photo of Engine 91s house it would have linked you to the news story.  I am sure that due to the series of  reports on FOX 11 (which was aired in February) that the fire department and at least some members of the City govenment are aware of this.             

I don't know whether you are aware of this but the LAFD under former Chief Terrazas had hired a public safety consulting group known as Citygate which is based in the Sacramento metro area and they have been doing an indepth "Standards of Coverage" study for the LAFD over the last approximately 2 years. The last that I had read they were going to release some of their finding at the April meeting of the Los Angeles fire commission.  I don't know if the results of the entire study will be released at that meeting or if they will ask for an extension.                                                                                                                                                                                                               The Citygate group  has alot of experience studying and examining fire departments and making recommendations  for fire stations in addition to fire companies and other related details. Whether the entire Citygate study of the LAFD will be released at the April Fire Commission meeting I can't answer but  I am sure that it will probably be released as  a report within the next year. If you take your time and listen to that FOX news report you would have seen that the fact that  there had been plans in 2006 to build a fire station and that the population of Sylmar has been growing and aging according to the story, that  the need for an additional fire station in the Sylmar area seems to be pretty obvious.

Edited by firepost

This lot at 16320 Foothill Blvd Sylmar, CA was selected many years ago for the new Fire Station in Sylmar. I’m not sure if this small lot is still in consideration, but this is where they planned it back in the day. It is a very small piece of property. 

D92072BB-5C48-4562-B5B1-EFE3FCB3EDC4.jpeg

Even though that relatively  small piece of land just  west of the Freeway might be still be vacant it really doesn't look like a good location due to  its proximity to the Freeway. This proposed new station had been on the LAFDS wish list in 2006 when WIlliam Bamattre was the Chief of the LAFD. Under him there was a long range proposal and plans for both Fire and EMS (Rescue Ambulances) that he had drawn up however after he left the Fire Department in 2006 and especially when the recession had country and the LAFD had to go to the MODIFIED service plan where companies were taken out of service , that long range plan under   Chief Bamattre was disregarded.  While I don't have the developer's name who was supposed to develope that site for the proposed Fire Station 31   apparently nothing further was done about it as the work was supposed have been done and paid for by the developer who apparently defaulted.                      

Edited by firepost

7 hours ago, firepost said:

Even though that relatively  small piece of land just  west of the Freeway might be still be vacant it really doesn't look like a good location due to  its proximity to the Freeway. This proposed new station had been on the LAFDS wish list in 2006 when WIlliam Bamattre was the Chief of the LAFD. Under him there was a long range proposal and plans for both Fire and EMS (Rescue Ambulances) that he had drawn up however after he left the Fire Department in 2006 and especially when the recession had country and the LAFD had to go to the MODIFIED service plan where companies were taken out of service , that long range plan under   Chief Bamattre was disregarded.  While I don't have the developer's name who was supposed to develope that site for the proposed Fire Station 31   apparently nothing further was done about it as the work was supposed have been done and paid for by the developer who apparently defaulted.                      

http://ens.lacity.org/lafd/lafdreport/lafdlafdreport1864169989_03162023.pdf

Monrovia, thanks for  posting the latest up date to the LAFDs strategic plan.  One of things that you should notice if you carefully examine the details of the Plan on page 12 under the first 2 on the list of Tactics 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 it mentions  the need to "Complete a Citywide Standards of Coverage Analysis" which I had previously mentioned the LAFD has been undergoing. Based on the findings of the  Standards of Coverage Analysis the City hopefully will have more detailed information as to the redeployment of apparatus and resources. 

This Standards of Coverage Analysis has been taking place since April of 2020 when the contract was signed with Citygate Associates, which happens to be a major fire and public safety consulting firm which has  been doing major fire and emergency service deployment studies for a number of years for various fire departments.

Another point that I would like to bring up is the LAFD is still not up to the full strength in terms of  the amount of fire suppression companies that were in service before July of 2009 when the LAFD started taking companies out of service due to the recession. Before the reductions took place there were 101 Engine companies in service and 49 Truck companies in service which included 48 Light Forces and 1 single Truck company and currently there are only 42 Light Forces and 1 single Truck company.

Even though several Engine companies  were restored to service since the cutbacks after July of 2009 the LAFD is still at least 3 Engine companies short of what  they had in service before July as of 2009. 

Of the 4 Haz Mat Squads 3 of them were fully manned and only one was crossmanned however as on now only one Haz Mat Squad is fully manned while the other 3 need to be crossmanned when they are needed.

Edited by firepost
typo

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor