old medevac

documentary on detroit fire department called " BURN "

3 posts in this topic

this documentary on Detroit FD is eye opening . this is a must see . these firefighters are poorly paid and work with beat up equipment in a war zone type enviroment . 93% of the fires these guys go out on are arson . the city is full of vacant homes that have been abandened and lit on fire . their chief is from lafd and trying to make it work . my opinion  firefighters dont deserve to have to work  like this !!  BURN is on netflex

Edited by old medevac

I saw a limited time showing of burn a little less then a year ago at a movie theater and it is heartbreaking to see what they are going through in Detroit. The men are very very dedicated but the conditions are worse then in your average big city fire department. The city has been in bad shape for a long long time but the fire department keeps shrinking. In June of 2012 10 Engine and 4 Trucks were  taken out of service and they still run with several companies that are browned out everyday.

Their EMS system which has ambulances mainly based out of fire stations  is continuously overworked and while over worked ambulances is really nothing new in most cities the major difference in Detroit is that an Engine or Truck is not normally sent as a first responder so the wait for help can be very long at times. Only their Heavy Rescue/Manpower Squads will run on an EMS run at times but that is something that  some cities were doing 40 and 50 years ago and most places have since started using Engines and Trucks as first responders as there are much more of them then there are Rescue/Manpower Squads.

Edited by firepost

my wife has alot of family that live in detroit and surounding areas . most worked for the automakers and are now unempolyed .  this movie shows the type of people we have come to depend on all over our country , our police and fire departments!!