firepost

Changes to the Category A and B response guidelines

1 post in this topic

I was wondering if there has been any changes to the Category A response guidelines over the last year or 2.

The Category A guidelines for fire in a single family dwelling consisted of One Light Force 3 Engines , 2 Rescue Ambulances preferably 1 ALS and 1 BLS plus one or two Battalion Chiefs plus an Ems Captain. 

As of the last several months on all of the Alert run downs that I have read 2 Light forces were always listed in addition to 2 or 3 Engine companies so I was wondering if the LAFD has increase the Category A response protocols to include a  2nd Light Force now.

I have also noticed that on quite a few Category  B fires which include multiple dwelling apartment buildings and commercial structures that 3 Light Forces have been list on the companies responding  and I know that the minimum Light Force response to those fires had included 2 Light Forces so like in my previous question about Category B responses if the minimum Light Light Force responses have been increased?

I also have a third question and  that is which company assumes the RIT (Rapid Intervention Team responsibilities) at  the Category A and the Catergory  B fires. Is it the third due Engine company or do they assign the RIT Team duties to a Light Force?

In Chicago if the fire is a working fire a third Truck and a 2nd Battalion Chief will be dispatched specifically as the RIT companies in addition to a RIT ambulance. In the New York City they also will dispatch a third Truck as the FAST Truck which is what the RIT designation is called in New York City. On the LAFD dispatch rundowns  I never read about any designated RIT companies however I am sure that you must have at least one or two companies assigned to RIT duties as they have been an OSHA safety requirement  for  fire departments as well as from the National Fire Protection Association.