firepost

The Pre Modified Coverage Manning of the Haz Mat Squads

5 posts in this topic

I understand that before the Modified Coverage Plans and the reductions in the fire companies and the manpower , that 3 of the 4 Haz Mat Squads had dedicated crews or manning assigned to them and only one of them was a "swing manning company". Before the reductions in manpower which of the Haz Mat Squads was the Swing company  and which 3 had dedicated crews? I am aware that as now only HazMat Squad 21 is fully manned and that it had been Squad 4 before the reductions.

When any of the other Haz Mat Squads are now called for does the Engine that they are quartered with go out of service and does the Engine crew instead respond with the Squad or  does the Light Force that they are quarted with respond with the LIght Force and they just have one of the Light Force Crew  Drive the Haz Mat Squad to the scence along with the LIght Force as a "third unit"?

Before all of of the manpower and company reductions I believe that it was either Squad 95 or Squad 48 that was a "Swing company" but I am not sure which one.

In other places what you might call a "Swing company" company are called "Jump companies" where the crew of one unit jumps onto a second "unmanned" untt and the first unit temporarily goes out of service.

Also in a related question, I am aware that only USAR  Squad 88 has a dedicated 2 man crew assigned to it and the other 5 USAR Squads have to respond with the crew of a "Co/located company" if the USAR is called for. When the USARS are called for do their Engines go out of service and the 4 man crew "jump" or respond with the USAR Squad or is it that the LIght force reponds with the USAR Squad and one of the Light Force members drive the USAR to the scene?

Even though USAR 88 is "techically speaking" manned with a 2 man crew, we all know that 2 men assigned to a USAR Squad is really less then a full crew so when USAR 88 responds to an incident does Light Force 88 respond with it  in order for it to have a full size crew or does Engine 88 respond with it to have a full size crew? 

In other words  who responds with USAR 88 so that they can have full sized crew with them? 

Thanks

Usually an engine would go out of service and staff the squad. For example, if Squad 95 gets a call, then Engine 95 will go out of service and hop on the squad. If the engine is on a run and Squad 95 gets a call, then Light Force 95 would staff the squad. It also depends on the call. If it's a full hazmat response, then usually the rescue would got out of service and staff the squad and the whole task force would go with the squad. If it's a chemical investigation, then only one company will staff the squad.

Thanks for your reply Zach. Do you recall before the fire company reductions in around 2009/2010 was it Hazmat Squad 95 or was it Hazmat Squad 48 that didn't have a dedicated crew assigned to it? As I was saying before the manpower and fire company reductions  3 of the 4 Hazmat Squads did have 4 man dedicated crews assigned to them. I know for certain the Squads 4 and 87 did have full crews assigned to them.

Another thing that I  had noticed is that the Hazmat Squads that have their own dedicated crew assigned to them are also used as manpower Squads within their own district. As Hazmat Squad 21 is the only Squad that currently has a full crew assigned it, it does respond to regular structure fires within it's area which is in Central and South Central Los Angeles.

Edited by firepost

On 7/2/2020 at 0:50 PM, firepost said:

Thanks for your reply Zach. Do you recall before the fire company reductions in around 2009/2010 was it Hazmat Squad 95 or was it Hazmat Squad 48 that didn't have a dedicated crew assigned to it? As I was saying before the manpower and fire company reductions  3 of the 4 Hazmat Squads did have 4 man dedicated crews assigned to them. I know for certain the Squads 4 and 87 did have full crews assigned to them.

Another thing that I  had noticed is that the Hazmat Squads that have their own dedicated crew assigned to them are also used as manpower Squads within their own district. As Hazmat Squad 21 is the only Squad that currently has a full crew assigned it, it does respond to regular structure fires within it's area which is in Central and South Central Los Angeles.

Pretty sure SQ95 did not have a dedicated crew. 

On 7/5/2020 at 3:28 PM, h_par202 said:

Pretty sure SQ95 did not have a dedicated crew. 

Thanks h_par202. I had thought so.