RFRD

Mesa Fire TRV203

21 posts in this topic

Mesa Fire is using this reserve quantum until a truck is purchased/built for TRV203. 

A TRV is a transitional response vehicle, used to bring a truck in service in order to run medical or service calls while keeping larger apparatus available. This post is funny because the TRV is just another engine in this case. Similar to the LA programs some cities run but in this case, they have manpower and usually ALS instead of the 2-man trucks and being ILS/PLS (with the exception of LA18)

12 hours ago, RFRD said:

A TRV is a transitional response vehicle, used to bring a truck in service in order to run medical or service calls while keeping larger apparatus available. This post is funny because the TRV is just another engine in this case. Similar to the LA programs some cities run but in this case, they have manpower and usually ALS instead of the 2-man trucks and being ILS/PLS (with the exception of LA18)

So this is a 2 person unit assigned to a truck company to handle ems/ service calls?

RFRD likes this

This is a 4 person ALS crew using a reserve engine until a smaller apparatus is placed in service. 

I thought the TRV nomenclature was nixed by the ROCC in favor of LA. 

3 hours ago, fs321c said:

I thought the TRV nomenclature was nixed by the ROCC in favor of LA. 

So did I until I saw Mesa’s TRV205 & TRV203. 

The LA’s are obviously low acuity and handle those lower priority calls. These TRV’s are ALS 4-person crews without any penalties or distance limitations. They have MPW so they don’t need to be backed up.  I like the idea. It makes sense to me. It’s what LA18 ‘should’ be in my opinion.  

The low acuity rigs are meant to handle the low risk ems calls that come in, like backaches and falls. Mesa just needs to put E2203 and 2205 back in service and leave them. Running a TRV is no different. 

The city isn’t going to fund another 2 engine companies even though their number guy they hired says the city actual needs quite a few more stations and trucks. Mesa’s LA/TRV pilot is such a mess. The original LA pilot failed immediately, then they went to having 3 LAs out of 203 and 2 would respond to calls + AMR, so you had “3 ambulances” show up. Citizens were not thrilled about that. The TRV is an ok concept but theyre a lot of issues that need to be resolved. 

Edited by legos.8ty7

ARU's are the way to go for MES/203 IMHO. I remember back in 00 when they had E2201 and E2205, heck L214 was L2214 for a period of time too

But, everything revolves around money and somehow folks on OT are cheaper than full time hires. Baffled me when I looked at the numbers....

I would like to see the LACoFD Squad concept in the valley. Two medics and used at busy houses in addition to the ALS Engine or Ladder.

Medical Response...some new made up term to run medicals in 154, 33, 60, 30 areas.  4 man, capt & engineer from gln, 2 emts from phx, on a yellow rig.

Why not stick with LA? Makes no sense.

That's going to be an interesting rig, especially the service delivery dynamics on med calls.

Speaking of ARU's  E2253 is going into service next year and a 2nd ARU Engine Co is planned for the south area, no date yet,  but likely 2020 to 2022 time frame  and I believe Surprise is planning to put a ARU Engine Co at 305's and it's going to run as E305

Edited by GilbertFIRE

They could even run a two man crew out of ladder tenders during high call times or what ever but the lacofd said concept has been the best 

On 8/19/2018 at 7:15 PM, fs321c said:

ARU's are the way to go for MES/203 IMHO. I remember back in 00 when they had E2201 and E2205, heck L214 was L2214 for a period of time too

But, everything revolves around money and somehow folks on OT are cheaper than full time hires. Baffled me when I looked at the numbers....

I would like to see the LACoFD Squad concept in the valley. Two medics and used at busy houses in addition to the ALS Engine or Ladder.

What does ARU mean? I understand what an MRU  is or what an LA is but not what the ARU is. Thanks

ARU is an Adaptive Response Unit. So they are ALS Engine Companies that are the second ALS unit in the station. They are usually housed at busy stations but when there is a multiple alarm fire or a unit goes out of service for training they are moved into those areas to provide coverage.