Rescue51

Old ALF pumper in El Cajon, CA

7 posts in this topic

Seen yesterday on Morgan Way (just west of Emerald Avenue) in El Cajon.  I think they were getting ready for a big BBQ at a residence.   The rig seemed to have a decal from Newport News, Virginia.  I wonder if former Alpine FD Chief Downing, might be part of that event/rig?   Nice looking ALF engine.  I was running short on time and did not have time to talk to what looked like a couple FF's in the driveway.  

20180804_134429-540x540.jpg

El Cajon ran a fleet of ALF engines (and maybe a truck?) when I was growing up there in the 80s.  Just seeing an ALF in El Cajon brings back memories :)

Rescue51 likes this

Yes 'Fumarin'...El Cajon ran them (I don't know if I recall an ALF truck, I thought El Cajon FD's first truck was the Pierce quint, though I could be wrong). Also La Mesa ran with ALF's pumpers.  See pics.  Photo credit to RescueKujo's Photo Bucket page.  ~Rescue51

lme11.jpg

ECFDE9-7-91.jpg

14 hours ago, mesabill said:

El Cajon FD ran 1960's ALF 85' mid mount aerial till late 80's was replaced by 95' Pierce tower

If my memory serves, I believe it ran out of what is now Station 9 before they built the new Station 6.  I also recall a Ford engine that seemed to be around forever and ran as a rescue unit for a number of years but that's probably for a different thread :)

'Fumarin', yes, they ran Rescue 6 for a while (was at 9's earlier).  Yes, 3 man cab up front, Ford.  It was fun to see the rescue rolling with the 3 guys in very front barely able to move.  Rescue 6 then, had a pump/tank but not much storage for tools/gear.  I'm guessing the thinking on the Ford when R9, was it put it very close to Gillespie Airport, for any CFR needs.

Now at 6's they are running Squad 6, I hope on many of the EMS/BLS runs that the newer Pierce Truck 6 was rolling on.  I am surprised in the consortium of Heartland Fire & Rescue (El Cajon, La Mesa, Lemon Grove), that they have not added a dedicated full rescue, though they do have T6, T11, and RE12 as good rescue resources.  I think a near-heavy rescue, dedicated, that also has light & air capacity, would be a great resource in Heartland F&R, though the budgets are always too tight.  Picture below in 1991, when R6 was running out of 9's as R9.  Photo credit RescueKujo's Photo Bucket. 

ECFDR9-7-91.jpg

Edited by Rescue51
addition