firepost

The LAFD Nurse Practioner Units

6 posts in this topic

Does anybody have any information on the Nurse Practitioner Units. I know that around in 2015 the Los Angeles City Fire Department had put in service an ambulance with a Nurse Practitioner and a Paramedic or EMT aboard whose purpose was to respond to the EMS requests of the frequent users so they could be treated or referred to the appropriate resources on the scene instead of  always  taking them to hospital emergency rooms  so the "Ambulances" could be used for the real emergencies. 

The last that I had heard the "NP" unit was on duty about 4 days a week and worked about 10 hours a day and the first one was put in service at Fire Station 64 in Watts. About a year after the pilot program had begun the city had announced it intention of adding  several more "NP" units to the fleet. I had heard they were talking of 4 such units which doesn't include the "Sober" Unit which was for the use of the Alcoholic frequent users.

So how many Nurser Practitioner Units are currently in service and where are they stationed and is there still a "Sober" Unit service and is it still at Station 4? 

The Nurse Practitioner Unit seemed to be a good idea as they were aimed at  getting the none urgent or "low accuity" patients from tying up the EMS units on non emergencies  and there were a few other places that were using similar units.

Thanks Casey. So it looks to me that now there is an AP unit at Stations 58.82,7, and 15 in addition to the Original one at Station 64. Whether the "Sober" Unit at Station 4 is included I am not sure. Anyhow it looks like there may now be 5 such units in service.

Emt FS 46 is the one at Station 4 the "Sober Unit" or is that some other unit? Is the Sober Unit still in service and is it at Station 4?