California Red

SEEN: OES engine in North Park

4 posts in this topic

For the first time, I saw an OES engine on a run while transiting down Adams on Wedenesday afternoon(or maybe Park. I forget). What are these apparatus for? Doesn't this overlap CAL Fire?

Nice engines. Just a different sight.

OES engines are owned by the state but are manned and maintained by local depts and are rebursed for the cost to man and maintain them.they are meant to be ready and used on major incidents as needed. They are spread out through the state. They can be used by the local depts for local needs.l such as fill In for our service rig Or local incident.

5 hours ago, California Red said:

For the first time, I saw an OES engine on a run while transiting down Adams on Wedenesday afternoon(or maybe Park. I forget). What are these apparatus for? Doesn't this overlap CAL Fire?

Nice engines. Just a different sight.

Another possibility is that when you saw them, they might have been responding code to a location for staging w/ other SD area OES rigs to head north either to Idlewild or the Carr Fire in Redding.

The engines are purchased by the California Office of Emergency Services and given to local fire departments as a spare engine. It can be used by the local department as a back up engine  By receiving this engine, the local fire department is required to staff and respond to emergencies around the state. Most of the time, it is wild land fires but can be any emergency like flooding or earthquakes etc.