e5911

new LVFD Smeals

3 posts in this topic

Saw  LVFR  Engine 201 today at the Grocery.. Spoke to the engineer who told me that they have been in the shop more than on the street.  Plenty of power compared to the Pierces, they like the set up but terrible electrical issues. Seem to like them, just wish they were not in the shop so much.

The rigs have been at the shop a lot more than rigs from previous orders, at least in the first year of having them. They are fast and the compartments are laid out well. The firefighters have a very large amount of space in the back but the officer and engineer have very little space in front ( would be nice if they evenly spaced it out). The air pack seats face backward and makes it difficult for the firefighters to see what's happening upon arrival when they are coming down the street. Hose bed is pretty high in the rear but I would say most members like the overall rig, lower crosslay bed, more compartment space in the cab, many emergency and scene lights as well as good A/C for when it's 120 in the summer. Several more are being made now, truck 7 is at the shop (hopefully soon to be in service), new Air Resource 1 is still at the shop (going on 3 months), the department won't take ownership until warranty issues are resolved and 5 new rescues have been in service for approximately 2 months now. 

12 minutes ago, e5911 said:

Saw  LVFR  Engine 201 today at the Grocery.. Spoke to the engineer who told me that they have been in the shop more than on the street.  Plenty of power compared to the Pierces, they like the set up but terrible electrical issues. Seem to like them, just wish they were not in the shop so much.

Most of the Pierce's are over 10 to 15 years old and are worn and beat.  Already having  problems & electrical issues with new & 1 year old Smeal's & SVI's,  Wait till they get 3 or 4 years old and get miles & hours on them.  LOL, Henderson already learned the hardway and  came back to Pierce and will be taking delivery of their 1st Velocity Ladder Tower soon      

Edited by GilbertFIRE