Generic

JULIAN AND CUYAMACA TO LOSE PARAMEDIC ENGINE STARTING JAUNARY 1

6 posts in this topic

It's been awhile since I lived out there but Julian is / was always full of tourists on the weekends - Either for apples when it's nice or the snow when it's cold.  There always seemed to be serious TCs and motorcycles down on Hwy 78 and Hwy 79 so this baffles me - especially the part about Mercy Air being turned down.

Just wow

The original article linked-to (East County Magazine) had some types, and one of them I suspect, is the author meant to say Mercy Ambulance (same company serving Alpine as M17, among others).  Yes, some serious T/C's up there, when they do happen, they can be bad, and many involve motorcycle.  The water tender is at the Cuyamaca station (FS 57's), and it sounds like the county is taking that away.  Cal Fire is now right next door to the old 57's (Engineer's Road), I do not know what resources they have there.  The problem in Julian-Cuyamaca is the volunteer force is getting smaller, and getting them to respond quickly, at least out of 57's, is harder.  Recall the old days up there when the San Diego County Sheriff's Department provided the ambulances and EMT's?   Always good when the ambulance with the 2 EMT's would arrive with a combative 5150, since those two on the ambulance, I believe, were also sheriff's deputies. 

20 hours ago, Rescue51 said:

Recall the old days up there when the San Diego County Sheriff's Department provided the ambulances and EMT's?   Always good when the ambulance with the 2 EMT's would arrive with a combative 5150, since those two on the ambulance, I believe, were also sheriff's deputies. 

Talk about a walk down memory lane - I do remember that!  From what seems like forever ago :)  Weren't they still using low band at that point as well?  (Before moving to UHF)

Rescue51 likes this

On 1/2/2018 at 2:29 PM, Rescue51 said:

The original article linked-to (East County Magazine) had some types, and one of them I suspect, is the author meant to say Mercy Ambulance (same company serving Alpine as M17, among others).  Yes, some serious T/C's up there, when they do happen, they can be bad, and many involve motorcycle.  The water tender is at the Cuyamaca station (FS 57's), and it sounds like the county is taking that away.  Cal Fire is now right next door to the old 57's (Engineer's Road), I do not know what resources they have there.  The problem in Julian-Cuyamaca is the volunteer force is getting smaller, and getting them to respond quickly, at least out of 57's, is harder.  Recall the old days up there when the San Diego County Sheriff's Department provided the ambulances and EMT's?   Always good when the ambulance with the 2 EMT's would arrive with a combative 5150, since those two on the ambulance, I believe, were also sheriff's deputies. 

Meant to say 'typos' not "types".