Rescue51

Question about SDFR and platforms

32 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2018 at 3:50 AM, firepost said:

Speaking of Platforms ,  I find it odd that the Long Beach fire department has been running with a Tower Ladder at their Truck 7 for a long time now  yet they seem to be the only fire department that I know of in Los Angeles County that runs with a Tower Ladder.  They are the 7th largest city in California with a little under half a million people. 

The fact that they have been using a Tower Ladder does throw cold water on the idea and the concept that  they are unable to effectively use Tower Ladders (Platforms) in the Los Angeles area.

As far as Los Angeles City goes I know that up in the Santa Monica Mountains where there are narrow winding streets their Tiller Ladders come in handy and are probably the only large aerial rigs that can be maneuvered there however I don't see why a Platform or a Tower Ladder can't be used in the rest of the city ( south and north of the Santa Monica mountains) where there seem to be quite a few wide boulevards.

There were at one time a couple of other fire departments that in tthe Los Angeles County area that ran with a few Platforms or Tower Ladders but I don't think they still are running with them. I am not from the area so perhaps someone  might have more accurate information on Tower Ladders in that area. 

I am keeping the subject primarlly to Tower Ladders as I know that years ago  during the (mid 60's and 70's) some fire departments were using "Snorkels" in the Los Angeles area , but that is another story.

Santa Fe Springs Truck 811 runs a Pierce platform.

firepost likes this

On 7/29/2018 at 10:00 PM, kevin1988 said:

Santa Fe Springs Truck 811 runs a Pierce platform.

Thanks for the information Kevin1988. I remember that they were running with Tower Ladder back in the 90's so it's good to hear that they stiil are using one.

I believe Long Beach just ordered new platform. 

35 minutes ago, kevin1988 said:

index55.jpg

that thing has been around for a long time, got to be up for replacement soon. their engines have been replaced twice over since this rig was purchased