Rescue51

3rd alarm boat fire-San Diego

9 posts in this topic

About 09:29 hrs this morning, a research boat (news also calling it a fishing boat), fire and alarm went out of San Diego Fire & Rescue.  Boat was reportedly docked at 750 North Harbor Drive, San Diego.  Eventually this went to 3 alarms, with a very difficult fire to fight.  An enormous amount of resources were at scene, I listed these at about 12:30:  B1, B2, B3, B6, National City B53, National City B57, National City B57R, E1, E11, E14, E18, E20, E201, E21, E22, E26, E4, E5, E7, E8, T1, T11, T12, T14, T35, Medic 11, Medic 48, USAR4, HazMat1, Fire 1, Fire 2, PIO, Chula Vista E51, National City E31.   Eventually command called for defensive ops and the fire was largely being fought by the fire boats (which I believe Fire 1 and Fire 2 are Harbor Police, and USCG also assisted). 

As of early evening, TV news was reporting 2 crew members who should have been on the boat, are unaccounted for thus far.

I am surprised that San Diego Fire Rescue doesn't have their own boats like Los Angeles Fire Department,  Long Beach,  LA County, and San Francisco Fire Department have.

B53 is Coronado's Battalion Chief.

Fire 1 and Fire 2 I believe is SDFD's Fire Chief and Assistant Chief. Unless something changed, that's what I knew them as.

10 minutes ago, lkseng3 said:

B53 is Coronado's Battalion Chief.

Fire 1 and Fire 2 I believe is SDFD's Fire Chief and Assistant Chief. Unless something changed, that's what I knew them as.

True. Fire 3 is also an Assistant Chief.

And B57R is simply added to send the call to the rear MDC in B57 vehicle. Not a real unit. Just a workaround.

Thanks you guys for the correction (lkseng3).  I did not proof my post and yes, B53 is Coronado, not National City.  Yes, the fire chief was on-scene, so he must have been Fire One, sorry, I thought those designations might have been for the Harbor PD boats with fire suppression/fighting.  I am not sure how those are for designations. 

1 hour ago, mesabill said:

The Harbor PD fire boats are (or were) Marine 1, Marine 2, etc....

The SDFR fireboats, operates by the Lifeguards and stationed at Quivira Point, are refered to as Marine 1 and 2. I’m not positive about the Harbor Police boats but I thought one came up on the air as “Marine 4” during this incident.