RicardoBerg

LAFD Type 3 Engine

25 posts in this topic

I drove by the LAFD shops yesterday and saw a new Type 3 Engine painted in the LAFD scheme at the shops and it looks awesome and any info on this rig or assignment?

In the HME video I posted awhile ago the engine was numbered 482C.  As near as I can tell it is built to the exact same specs as Calfire and Cal OES engines

Does anyone know if more will be purchased. Or is this one time only. 482C maybe st82?

It is my understanding that this is a OES rig in which LAFD can use at their own  discretion which is why it's painted with the LAFD paint scheme

correct me if I'm wrong

It appears to be a Calfire Model-34, which OES buys, but is LAFD purchased/ owned. Not an OES rig.

That should be correct.  OES rigs are all painted in their colors and markings

They are loaned to the departments that house them,maintain them and staff them

LAFD may have ordered some OES or CAL FIRE spec'd rigs and piggybacked

on the OES/CAL FIRE bid package.

One thing for sure I notice is that LAFD is upgrading it's wildland firefighting capabilities with the purchase of their type 3 as well as having OES Type 3's, Water Tenders,  Crew 3 Hand Crews, Dozer Teams, Brush Patrols and of course their helicopters. 

My understanding is...LAFD has to have a type3 or similar rig to have the OES type 3's. That's why only one was purchased but, the markings are a bit unusual.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:15 PM, pump305 said:

My understanding is...LAFD has to have a type3 or similar rig to have the OES type 3's. That's why only one was purchased but, the markings are a bit unusual.

Exactly, they need a ready reserve for the OES Type 3's.  Hence the purchase.  

Could someone post a picture of the new Type 3. Us retired folks can't get to the shops anymore. Thanks

On 8/18/2017 at 7:42 AM, Polecat said:

Could someone post a picture of the new Type 3. Us retired folks can't get to the shops anymore. Thanks

Youtube Video from HME. 

Nice pic and I notice that it doesn't have the Los Angeles Fire Department logo on it's doors.

I spoke to my buddy who's a Captain on E82. He doesn't have any info on the type3. As of two days ago no notification 82's will receive this rig.

Any info on where this rig went? 

The red Type 3’s are replacements for the lime green/yellow OES Engines. There are 5 yellow OES engines that will be replaced with 5 red ones. They will remain OES rigs but painted red ( for whatever reason). The current assignments are 35, 87, 88, 89 & 98. Not sure where the first red one went. 

Wow that pretty fast replacement for the OES type 3 didn’t they just get them not to long ago? 

Edited by mr.ranger

I said the same thing to the person who gave me the info. He said the green OES rigs were received with quite a bit of miles on them. The past 2 years that LAFD has had the type 3’s, they were deployed all over the state and racked up more miles.

LAFD came to some type of agreement with OES to be able to paint the type 3’s in the LAFD scheme. There will be a total of 5type 3’s..

Only one LAFD Type 3 was ordered.  It was ordered b/c in the agreement with OES in order to accept the 5 Lime green rigs, LAFD had to have a reserve rig.  Hence the one Red Type 3 was ordered as LAFD has never had their own Type 3 rig.  It will be stationed at 82, hence the designation 482c on the video at 00:35 on the rear side compartment doors.  

The OES Type-3 engines came to the LAFD brand new. They had not been assigned elsewhere and were not high mileage at the time of assignment.

Thanks E0001. I got some incorrect info.