619Emergencys

Heartland El Cajon "First Responder" Team

3 posts in this topic

City of El Cajon 6-13-17 (Budget)Joint Special Meeting Agenda

08fafb4209a15cb92c4421a2a5dda602.png

Anyone have any more information on this?

Would this be a Squad type unit? 

***Disclaimer: This program is still dependent on some labor negotiations, and the finalized operational plan may change.  This is general knowledge of how it might operate.*** The short answer is "yes", it will be a squad.  Current FD daily staffing in El Cajon is 16 per day (Four 3-person engines and one 4-person truck).  Adding three firefighters will bring the daily staffing to 17 and allow for a squad to be put in service.  This will be accomplished by moving one firefighter/paramedic from the ladder truck to the squad and staffing the second position with the new hire.  Once in service, these two units (T6 and SQ6) will operate as a five person truck company (Capt, Eng, and 3 FF/PMs). The squad will respond to all fires, rescues, and other significant calls in El Cajon in tandem with T6 and the rest of the response.  If the truck is pulled for something out of the City, the squad will accompany it to allow for 5 person staffing. SQ6 will also respond to certain low level medical aids in place of an engine or the truck to improve unit availability and response times throughout the city and reduce wear and tear on personnel and the larger apparatus.  A 2017 Ford F250 has been bid and purchased, with delivery expected sometime in July.  It will then be outfitted with a bed shell, radios, lights, graphics, SCBAs, ALS gear, and an assortment of hand tools.  The in service date is unknown, but will most likely be before the end of the calendar year.

Again 'diamond682' great information reporting by you.  Well, looks like El Cajon FD is going to finally do what I had suggested to former chief Rick Sitta that they do, which is stop running T6 on so many MED-AIDS (in a very rich area for ALS/BLS, EMT and sub-EMT kinda of frequent flyer requests-for-service).  T6 is an expensive and complicated, heavy machine, that is being run-down from all the MED-AIDS that a much less expensive and smaller rig should be handling.  I suggested a rescue again for station 6's, but that is not gonna happen as T6 is the rescue.  I had recommended for years a squad or patrol as well, to run the MED-AIDS when E6 is not available due to commitment.   What you have described for the new Squad-6, is an excellent roll-out of something I think we needed many years ago in this area.  The former B6 (Ford) that is sitting at 9's, that seems not to be in use, I would think should be deployed now for a squad and used now until the new S6 is available, to take that load off of T6.  T6 is depreciating at a much more rapid rate than needed, not to mention its response time is a bit longer than an engine and especially a squad or what SDFR calls a "Fast Response Squad".  Hell, I'd rather see a brush rig respond on MED-AIDS instead of T6 which is once again, in an area of incredible request for MED-AIDS.