E0001

LA County Fire purchasing Type-3 engines

17 posts in this topic

Are they OES type 3's or are they going to be L.A. County Type 3's similar to the ones on Santa Catalina Island. 

if the la county bos authorized the purchase , then they will be county fire assets. oes rigs are funded and purchased by the state of california

Awesome and are any of them going to replace the older type 3's at 55 and 155 on Catalina Island?

Engine 55 got a new Type 3 engine in 2011   KME built it,  a Int/KME  750 GPM engine for the Avalon station

The small shed at Twin Harbors had an old Ford unit that would just fit in the small building there

Not sure of other changes on the island

Yes there is. E55 and E255. E155 as stated received the smaller Int/KME to fit in the shed.

Found this little tidbit yesterday on Facebook.

Los Angeles County Fire Department has awarded Boise Mobile Equipment (BME) and their partnering dealer Western Truck Exchange (WTE) six (6) Type-3 and Ten (10) Type-6 fire apparatus. Tag-on opportunities are available. Contact us at sales@bmefire.com or call (800) 445-8342 to be connected with your area sales rep.

No automatic alt text available.

They would have been very useful at the Castaic incident right now and hopefully they can be delivered and placed in service by October when the Santa Ana's arrive./

Edited by RicardoBerg

This is interesting that LAFD is getting their own type 3 and how many type 3's will LAFD be getting besides the 5 OES type 3's that the department currently has?

Looks like Lafd built it for strike team assignments. They don't usually put that lettering on rigs CA-LFD.  Noticed they numbered it 482-C. Interesting they went with HME. I believe cal oes ordered most of their rigs from them. 

Edited by mr.ranger

These are not LAFD bought type 3 engines. They are CAL OES engines supplied to LAFD. They can be used by LAFD for free for day to day use (restrictions apply) but must be staffed by LAFD for strike team assignments when called upon by OES.

edit: maybe I am wrong but if I had to guess, I still think they are CAL OES engines.

Edited by Generic

That makes sense. oes must of changes how they supply engines I remember they would come lime green with cal oes decals. Than they have fire department decal.  From the video these seamed like Lafd Ordered them with Lafd paint scheme and city seal.

i must say LAFD has really brought their wild land ops up to game with new brush boots/helmets and gear. Crew-3 hand crew, cal oes rigs. I also saw some photos of Lafd crews doing some controlled burns with oes rigs at camp penelton 

2 hours ago, Generic said:

These are not LAFD bought type 3 engines. They are CAL OES engines supplied to LAFD. They can be used by LAFD for free for day to day use (restrictions apply) but must be staffed by LAFD for strike team assignments when called upon by OES.

edit: maybe I am wrong but if I had to guess, I still think they are CAL OES engines.

Not the one in the video. That is an LAFD purchased vehicle. Guaranteed.