Rescue51

Not good: New 7219 dent

5 posts in this topic

Today in the 17:00 hour, was driving to El Cajon's Smart & Final near HTF on North Marshall Ave and observed a TC post event, that involved a brand new Smeal (like Lakeside) pumper with San Miguel logo and numbers 7219.  It appeared on westbound Fesler St., 7219 likely was making a right turn (NB to Marshall) and a BMW may have cut inside 7219.  No injuries.  Once vehicles pulled apart, looked like some damage to equipment door rear of pump panel and maybe some damage above wheel well.  CalFire BC was '97 as were ECPD and CHP.  The engine is beautiful with new code lights and more...new side amber LED lights above equipment doors really get you attention besides all the red LED's. 

Edited by Rescue51
edit

That really sucks, good to hear it wasn't too serious.

Is the engine all red now or did they keep the white top? 

Good early morning '619Emergencys'.  Yes, it really sucks!  I could not believe my eyes.  It could have happened to a spare/reserve KME that is 14-years old, but a brand new rig?  The engine is all red, and a great looking pumper.  The code lights are awesome!   I did not take pics even though I was right there, out of respect for the FF's and BC, as I figured this was having a bad day.  Often when larger vehicles go to take a wider right turn (turn signal and all), undoubtedly, someone will try to pass and beat you on the right.  A few years ago the chief of San Miguel hinted to me that there were going to be some orders for San Miguel for Smeals (like they have in Riverside, Temecula).   I saw on the assignments for Heartland a run on Marshall for a T/C, and it listed 7219, so I am thinking that was the response to the T/C in E9's first-in.  It showed the assignment @ 16:28 with two AMR medics dispatched, so there may have been injuries in the BMW, though it did not look like major damage on the BMW from my vantage point.

Photo credit to Fire Apparatus Solutions which is a Southern California dealer for Smeal/Spartan.  The pumper shown, at I believe the FDIC convention in San Diego, looks very similar to the rig with San Miguel E7219 which I saw last week, and was involved in a minor TC in El Cajon.  I think I even see the upper mid body side light bar I mentioned was activated with very interesting amber flashing lights.  Anyone with insights on whether San Miguel has more of these on order (I assume: yes).   I wonder when San Miguel goes stand-alone from Cal Fire in a couple months, if that might affect the delivery of any more Smeals???  

6169629_orig.jpg

Edited by Rescue51
correction

Interesting I drove by HTF just a little while ago and E7219 was there doing training with a bunch of FF's.  They had the coffin storage doors open on top.  The agency decals on the side are still Cal Fire and San Miguel.  I sure hope San Miguel gets to keep the rig and not Cal Fire, but suspect it is going to San Miguel once they are again a stand-alone agency.  ~Rescue 51