Rescue51

Confined space rescue response (El Cajon)

7 posts in this topic

On yesterday at 12:20 hrs, Heartland Fire & Rescue responded in El Cajon to Wagner Road just west of North Marshall Avenue, to a construction site (for car dealership) where a six foot high, 6,000 pound cement retaining wall and cinder blocks collapsed onto two workers.  One worker escaped with minor-moderate  injuries, the other worker was trapped and it too about 1hr + 20min to reach him where firefighters determined the 51-yo worker was deceased.   And interesting list of assigned resources:

4303, 4307, Santee B2, B3, Lakeside E3, E7, San Miguel E7219, E9,  i431, i432, Lakeside M2,  AMR M439, RE12, T6, San Diego FR USAR 4, San Diego FR E4, Tip 10. 

I am assuming the i431 and i432 are investigation units.   I found it interesting they showed San Diego Fire Rescue Engine 4 on assignment with USAR 4, which I assume was for manpower.  I was surprised Santee was not assigned, since they have (had??) a good technical specialty of confined space and trench rescue. Santee R5 has been retired.  I assume Lakeside E3 was assigned since 3's R3 also has a good confined space/trench rescue resources/expertise.  I assume R3 was unavailable (out of service?). 

E3 and M2 had just cleared HTF so they were in the area when the call went out, M2 was automatically added to the call as all the AMR medics were unavailable and E3 requested to be added as they were just a few minutes away, I431 and I432 are information officers aka PIOs. I believe B2 was originally on the call but 4307 asked to be placed on the call instead of B2. B2 did later let B3 who was IC know that he was getting some stuff together at Station 4 if they needed it for the rescue operation but they were never called upon and San Diego Engine 4 was indeed added on to help out USAR4 with man power. 

Thats some response.

Im surprised USAR 41 Wasnt on the call as well besides 4s.

Sad  the construction worker died on the scene. :(

Rescue51 likes this

If still correct, I know Santee FD had a trailer with extensive trench/confined space rescue equipment, mostly different cut/sizes of wood.  I believe they used a pick-up truck to tow that trailer.  I assume that is what they were prepping regarding the B2 inquiry.  The trailer out of 4's would be responded along with R5 when Santee assisted other agencies with trench/confined space technical rescues.

There is a video on U-Tube mostly of the radio traffic of the incident, it does show Video  from a local new chopper that keeps repeating, at one point you see a bunch of folks scramble due to a security fence following down during the incident.

19 hours ago, FF Buff One said:

Thats some response.

Im surprised USAR 41 Wasnt on the call as well besides 4s.

Sad  the construction worker died on the scene. :(

USAR41 was out of service.