41engine41

CHP Goes Dodge Charger

25 posts in this topic

From a recent general google search I did it seems CHP is going for Dodge Chargers as its primary pursuit and patrol vehicle replacing fcv's and the newer ford suv's.

Must make for a better pursuit vehicle. Is this a generic CHP initiative? for the Dodge Charger?

THe Hareys look awesome!! what are they tuned up to?

Regards

Jed

Yes dodge charger is new official vehicle for CHP. Every so often the examine new pursuit rated vehicles and examine what best fits them for their needs. And charger won this test

The Chargers will not entirely replace those Ford Explorers.  The Ford Explorers when retired, may be replaced by the Charger, per what I heard (I could be wrong).  There is also chatter that CHP is testing the Chevy Tahoe (or a modified version) to also be rolled-in when the Ford Explorers get retired. 

2 hours ago, Rescue51 said:

The Chargers will not entirely replace those Ford Explorers.  The Ford Explorers when retired, may be replaced by the Charger, per what I heard (I could be wrong).  There is also chatter that CHP is testing the Chevy Tahoe (or a modified version) to also be rolled-in when the Ford Explorers get retired. 

yes tuned up and stabilised tahoes that are pursuit capable are also set to hit the streets with chp.

Rescue51 likes this

I was driving a 2014 Suburban and had to take evasive action at about 25-30 MPH, to avoid of all things, a CHP cruiser that unsafely pulled out from a strip mall (with Starbucks) driveway on Midway Drive just east of Rosecrans (San Diego).  My only choice was to swerve to avoid t-boning the CHP unit.  Yes, the female officer had a shocked look on her face  (cup of coffee/fiddling with her MDT?).  Needless to say, I was very surprised how well the Suburban handled without rolling over.  The officer had looked to her left as I was accelerating, looked to her right, and never looked back to her left as she accelerated out of driveway.  We're all human.  Task saturation.  We have too many distractions.  The Tahoe is even more stable than a Suburban from what I hear.

they have been running the Tahoe's in north orange county for about the last 2 weeks or so, saw it several times on the 57 fwy over the weekend

l

Rescue51 likes this

I guess those v6 fords just can't keep up to highway policing. To me the ford works on urban policing ( inter-city ). 

Rescue51 likes this

That is supposedly one of the new Tahoes that went to the South Lake Tahoe CHP office.  I need to verify this picture though.  Found it in a Google search.  Looks like a later model Tahoe.  Not sure they are still putting those red teardrop lights on them though, newer lights would be LEDs in the sideview mirrors. 

3305545406_c4445fe500_o.jpg.506bdc476431e1f8d0c7461a162fe4bd.jpg

Edited by Rescue51
correction/update

5 hours ago, Rescue51 said:

That is supposedly one of the new Tahoes that went to the South Lake Tahoe CHP office.  I need to verify this picture though.  Found it in a Google search.  Looks like a later model Tahoe.  Not sure they are still putting those red teardrop lights on them though, newer lights would be LEDs in the sideview mirrors. 

3305545406_c4445fe500_o.jpg.506bdc476431e1f8d0c7461a162fe4bd.jpg

Looks like older model I've never really understood the red spot light. Makes sense they would get SUV in that area since mountains 

3 hours ago, lalautze said:

2016 Tahoe (via google) - not sure of location

tahoe.jpg

Now that's a sexy machine!

On 4/7/2017 at 0:25 PM, lalautze said:

2016 Tahoe (via google) - not sure of location

tahoe.jpg

Wow you could PIT a semi with that bullbar 

Chargers look sharp - saw one in Yountville Last week

Question....where do they outfit these cars? I remember seeing a TV show or magazine article awhile back that it was done at an official CHP location where they had an "assembly line" process, and a lot of the brackets and wiring harnesses the make themselves.

17 hours ago, x635 said:

Question....where do they outfit these cars? I remember seeing a TV show or magazine article awhile back that it was done at an official CHP location where they had an "assembly line" process, and a lot of the brackets and wiring harnesses the make themselves.

CHP Academy. 3500 Reed Ave, West Sacramento. If you do a Google satellite view for that address you can see hundreds of patrol cars on the east side of the property.

Edited by E0001
x635 likes this

On 4/17/2017 at 6:17 PM, x635 said:

On 4/18/2017 at 0:07 PM, E0001 said:

CHP Academy. 3500 Reed Ave, West Sacramento. If you do a Google satellite view for that address you can see hundreds of patrol cars on the east side of the property.

Wow, no kidding. 

The google van sees all

1.thumb.PNG.03cbb2395f497ea45c9bf518e5d1aa56.PNG

2.thumb.PNG.514795dcbfb3a878bdce171df75ba32e.PNG

Also, it's interesting to note the change of inventory between 2011 and 2016:

5.thumb.PNG.fe144640ac3f504bff5338f8513c2dae.PNG

6.thumb.PNG.b0b648e60b99551d504ef720a7f787fb.PNG

4.thumb.PNG.3f2c2ed16c56862aff31c97304c29f8f.PNG

Edited by was2wuz