EMT_FS46

LAFD new Pierce engine contract

6 posts in this topic

I have heard rumors and recently confirmed that pierce won a contract for new fire engines for the Los Angeles Fire Dept. Can anyone shed any light on the details of this contract. Etc: specs, how many rigs, and estimated delivery date.

Considering Lafd history ordering pierce rigs they will probably be arrow xt rigs with tak4 suspensions. Probably be while for deleivery since they have average wait almost 10 month to year right now. Hopefully those rigs won't have same problems as pierce trucks. That still haven't hit the streets. 

Edited by mr.ranger

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, EMT_FS46 said:

I have heard rumors and recently confirmed that pierce won a contract for new fire engines for the Los Angeles Fire Dept. Can anyone shed any light on the details of this contract. Etc: specs, how many rigs, and estimated delivery date.

Pierce was awarded a bid for 7 engines (Or "Triple Combinations") last May, according to the City Of LA Procurement page. They were the lowest bidder ($677,179 per Engine), with KME being the only other bidder ($689,114 per Engine). I don't know the status of them, but it's usually something Pierce puts out a press release on.

Some interesting notes possibly affecting delivery time noted in the bid:

-On an order of ten (10) or more units, the manufacturer will schedule production of two (2) prototype units.
-The remaining units will be scheduled for production approximately two (2) months after the first two (2) units are placed into service.
-If apparatus manufacturer is located outside of California, any shipment of apparatus during the winter months (January thru March) shall be shipped via flat bed truck (NO EXCEPTIONS). 
-After the vehicle has passed all operational tests, delivery of ALL logbooks, service/repair manuals, electrical drawings, brake system drawings along with ALL requested literature and all identified problems have been fixed, final acceptance by the Los Angeles Fire Department will then be made. 

On 2/23/2017 at 4:12 PM, mr.ranger said:

I can see why they would but these specs in to bid. But with only 7 engines they don't have to build prototype engines. They can just build them all. I can also see why flat beds they dont want brand new rusty engines from all the raid salt and snow. I'm surprised only pierce and one put bids in. I figured seagrave would have put one in along with smeal. This also kinda small order for lafd engine wise. I guess all the open cab seagrave and older pierces/ seagraves have been phased out.