mesabill

Calfire Ramona FD

10 posts in this topic

I have noticed that CalFire/Ramona FD is back to using two digit unit numbers (80, 81, 82) is this a new trend for all San Diego CalFire Schedule A stations?

Calfire renumbered all the Schedule A and contract agency equipment. Station numbers mostly stayed the same but they now use numbers matching the station. 7316 became Engine 36, 7810 is now Engine 80, etc. Second unit of same type out of the station is 200 series, 3rd is 300 series, etc. Battalion 7808 is now just Battalion 8. This mirrors the same system Calfire-Riverside County utilizes, and that is no coincidence. The San Diego Unit Chief and at least one of the two ECC Battalion Chiefs all came from Riverside.

mesabill likes this

I believe that many Departments in the East San Francisco Bay area cities use the 1,000 number series numbering system on their apparatus such as Oakland,  Berkeley,  and Fremont. 

E0001 do you know if Heartland CAD (pulse) is behind the times or why they still listing San Manual units as 4 digit?

18 hours ago, mesabill said:

E0001 do you know if Heartland CAD (pulse) is behind the times or why they still listing San Manual units as 4 digit?

San Miguel is scheduled to go back to a stand-alone District in July or so. They opted to leave the numbers as is until that occurs. It would be a waste of money to change the identifiers on the vehicles just to change them again in a few months.

mesabill likes this

Back in the 1990s, the California Fire Chiefs Association decided to reduced miscommunication by having city/county FDs renumber apparatus  so there are no same numbered apparatus in the whole county. They wanted to reduce the miscommunication on larger incidents where you may have 2 or 3 Engine 1s and etc.. This would also help on strike teams. I know of different counties that renumbered to 2, 3 or 4 digit numbering. Sometimes this stuck. Other times it did not stick. There are still remnants of this in Riverside County. Idyllwild fire has engine 621 and etc.. Murrieta fire used to be 631, 632 etc. before abandoning it along with other cities. I am not really familiar with San Diego county but I am guessing that is how the 4 digit numbering came about. Someone finally decided to implement it. Another chief decided to abandon it. I have never been a fan of digit apparatus numbering (except for CAL FIRE where it is needed). It seemed to be more complicated than it had to be. 2 and 3 digit numbering is fine by me.

In late 70's into early 80's in San Diego County almost every dept except San Diego City and Military were using 4 digit system grouped by Zone, Not sure with if it was 1979 or 1980 Zone 4 (Heartland) chiefs decided to go to single and 2 digit station number system which stands today, they still use 4 digit for some staff and chiefs.  I hear San Miguel will go back to Heartland dispatch and take up their old numbers: 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22 and 23