x635

Hermosa Beach FF Association Backs LACoFD takeover

15 posts in this topic

Wouldn't it be better if Hermosa Beach Fire Department merges with either Redondo Beach Fire or Manhattan Beach Fire Department?

it would be up to either of those cities to want to merge with Hermosa beach. it sounds to me like the bean counters in Hermosa don't want to give the fd the money it needs to service the growing community. I think Redondo and manhatten are probally just fine the way they are currently. Hermosa beach would get more bang for the buck by going la county

I'm with you EMT_FS46 on this one. I'm really surprised the county would even be interested in doing a survey for Hermosa. This city is not even surrounded by county stations. Unlike the other cities that the county has contracts with ie. Hawthorne, Gardena, Inglewood, etc. I can remember when Inglewood city council put a request for a survey for the F.D., L.A. City was also interested. Because some Inglewood stations could provide better response times to areas in L.A. City. Another story that comes to mind, is that at one time (60's - 80's), a small pocket of County jurisdiction (Manhattan Beach' El Portal section) was covered by L.A. County 21's from Lawndale and the Squad came from 18's in Lennox (before 21's had a squad). A PRETTY GOOD DRIVE for both.

It really benefits the firefighters NOT the city. Firefighters make more money, can work at a station closer to home. And more opportunities to do other things in the county. In the beginning the only guys that stay in a newly contracted city, are the engineers (because they know the city). After awhile, none of the original guys are at that station/city it seems.  Just my 2 cents. Happy New Years

Rescue51 likes this

The city of Hermosa Beach has only one fire station I think it would make great sense for the county to take over. There would be more recourse's that the city doesn't have. I believe the city of San Fernando some time during the 1980s closed down there fire department and have contracted LAFD with no fire stations in the city limits of San Fernando and it's covered LA city station's 75 in Mission Hill to the west, 91 in Sylmar to the north and 98 in Pacoima to the south.

you are correct Hermosa only has 1 station with 1 engine and 1 medic staffed per shift, going with la county or any other outside agency is only going to give you what coverage or staffing the city bean counters decide to pay for. if the city decides to only pony up the same amount of money they are paying now , the resources will not change

We all know all Hermosa Beach will get is a engine and squad. know lets take a look at if those units are tied up.

Backup

Paramedic squads: 161 Hawthorne, 21 Lawndale, 2 Palos Verdes, 158 Gardena, 171 Inglewood, 6 Lomita, and Engine 18 Lenox.

Engine companies: 161 and 160 Hawthorne, 21, 18, 2, 158, 18, 171, 6 Lomita, and 110 Marina Del Rey

Trucks/quints: Light Force 170 Inglewood, quint 159 Gardena, quint 162 Hawthorne, quint 110, quint 106 Palos Verdes Estates/Rolling Hills Estates.

USAR/Haz Mat: Haz Mat 105 Compton (border line Carson) and USAR 103 Pico Rivera.

For those of you who don't know these station can have extensive ETA's responding into Hermosa if needed. you can go on google maps to get a some what view of the distance to Hermosa Beach.

That being said, I'm pretty confident that the other beach communities and Torrance could also continue their mutual aid policy with the city of Hermosa Beach so they'd be no loss in service.

Edited by wdho

If the other beach cities and Torrance continued auto/mutual aid, and Hermosa contracted to the County, there's no benefit for additional resources. Because mutual aid comes from other area G departments anyway, including the County. I remember a fire commercial/industrial that Manhattan had a few years ago, Manhattan had rigs from each Area G department, plus L.A. County and L.A. City. Plus, L.A. County has NO station relatively close to Hermosa anyway.

Edited by Engine5161
added comments

What is also being factored into the decision is that a new station needs to be built. If the city keeps the fire department, they need to build a Headquarters Station. If the county takes over, they only need to build a neighborhood station. The firefighters are now living and working in prefab modulars and the Engine and RA are out under tents due to unsafe living conditions at the current station. 

I can't believe a city like Hermosa Beach doesn't want to fork up the money to build a new station/headquarters. Sounds like the city is currpt. 

This is sad and a bad move. Once again a community has been mislead into thing they are getting.