x635

New San Francisco Heavy Rescues

26 posts in this topic

They look pretty nice. But I though SFFD only had one Rescue company?

its there - not sure which one it is, but they have a directional cone on it along with it being recessed in the bumper - so it concentrates sound straight and not to sides.  They did this with the new Engine 1 since they were getting noise complaints - 

be safe

MVS

neither rig has federal q sirens on them . they have code 3 electronic sirens

I don't care for the bells, just a nostalgic thing keeping within tradition, but I think they look funny today, and take up space otherwise better used for something else.  

Wait...so somebody actually complained that the big red fire truck was too loud responding to an emergency, and the department actually took it seriously? HA

How many people does this rig usually carry?  Also noticed no chevron stripes on back. I thought all new emergency rigs were required to have them. 

For a "heavy-rescue" it is a fairly short body compared to newer heavy-rescues.  Often you'll see the dual axle in rear on the heavy rescues too (indicative of higher rig load). 

Chevrons (red/yellow) are required to be NFPA compliant.  If the truck does not have them installed or are different colors when built then most manufacturers will make the department sign a waiver stating that the apparatus does not meet NFPA requirements.

We are going through a similar situation right now, previous engine built by Manufacturer A in 2014 has the red & yellow chevron to meet NFPA, actual color of the yellow scotchlite is "Lemon Yellow".  No issues.

Currently having a ladder built by Manufacturer B, they want us to sign a waiver because "Lemon Yellow" in not yellow per the NFPA list.  Last I checked yellow was yellow but they are taking a literal translation that "yellow" scotchlite (looks more orange) is the only yellow allowed because NFPA just says yellow (not lemon yellow).  We pulled the data sheet and Lemon Yellow actually out performs the regular Yellow.  We will see what happens with this as we are pushing back on it.

x635 likes this

Yes, Chevrons are not required. As stated only highly recommended. If anyone has noticed...FDNY does not run them at all. Although i do see the new heavy FDNY Ambulances has them. wdho, thanks for the history on the rescues and bells.

On the new SFFD rescues.

The siren is Code 3 Screaming Eagle Mechanical siren. (sounds similar to the federal Q2B saw clips of em on YouTube)

Hope this helps.

Rescue51 likes this

That is awesome and mechanical sirens are the way to go and even LAFD has gone back to mechanical sirens on their rigs except the command vehicles. 

22 hours ago, RicardoBerg said:

That is awesome and mechanical sirens are the way to go and even LAFD has gone back to mechanical sirens on their rigs except the command vehicles. 

Glad to see big cities go back to mechanical sirens! FDNY also has gone to the EQ2b siren... Even though it's not a true mechanical siren, it definitely sounds like a real fire truck. On a side note, what electronic siren does LAFD use? 

I have to find out but the electronic sirens used by the LAFD is changing to a different style tone

44 minutes ago, RicardoBerg said:

I have to find out but the electronic sirens used by the LAFD is changing to a different style tone

Interesting.. I thought they used the Federal Signal Touchmaster, but I just wanted confirmation of that...

We have 2 of them. 1 thats completely open in the back and the one in the background of this pic. The one thats open in the back was just restored and its now added to our parade fleet. The one in the background is still a frontline rig, assigned to our Bureau of Equipment and still responds code 3 to all 2nd alarm and greater fires along with special call outs for dept involved accidents and other unique incidents.

That is awesome that San Francisco still has Ford C-Series rigs because they were great rigs back in the days.